The Historic National Road in Ohio
In 1872 the eastern boundary of Columbus was Alum Creek. Bexley was founded in 1903 and the area to the east remained rural with inns and taverns, and later, gasoline and repair shops along the National Road (Main Street) to aid travelers.
In 1923, Charles F. Johnson purchased a portion of this land and platted “Eastmoor Addition,” an equestrian community, with a polo field as its centerpiece. The facilities of the Eastmoor Polo club were destroyed by fire, and because of the rapid growth of residential Eastmoor, the Polo Club relocated to Rocky Fork Hunt Club. Today’s Virginia Lee Circle, a community gathering place, is located on the site of the Eastmoor Polo Club.
In 1937, when Eastmoor was annexed by the City of Columbus, most of the houses and service stations were scattered along Main Street, the National Road. Following World War II, most of the houses and accompanying commercial and industrial developments were built.
Erected 2015 by The Ohio National Road Association, Inc.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The National Road / The Interurban Electric Railway (approx. half a mile away); Capital University (approx. 0.6 miles away); A Brief History of Eastmoor / Eastmoor Polo Field (approx. ¾ mile away); Whitehall Tavern (approx. 1.1 miles away); Bexley World War II Memorial (approx. 1.1 miles away); Bexley (approx. 1.1 miles away); Camp Bushnell (approx. 1.1 miles away); Hanford Village (approx. 1.3 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Columbus.
Additional keywords. Old National Road
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Roads & Vehicles • Settlements & Settlers • Sports •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. This page has been viewed 86 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on , by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on August 1, 2016.