Bridport in Addison County, Vermont — The American Northeast (New England)
Bridport District Schoolhouse #1
Erected c. 1864, this one-room schoolhouse served hundreds of children in Bridport for nearly a century. Originally founded as the first district school in Bridport, it later became known as Hathorne School, reflecting the name of a nearby landowner. The restored building is a wood frame design on a stone foundation and features two entrances, one for boys and one for girls. A large woodstove heated the building and a cast iron bell called the children to class each morning.
Erected 2015 by Vermont Division for Historic Preservation.
Location. 44° 0.248′ N, 73° 22.408′ W. Marker is in Bridport, Vermont, in Addison County. Marker is at the intersection of Vermont Route 125 and Basin Harbor Road, on the left when traveling west on State Route 125. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Bridport VT 05734, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Ruins of Pre-Revolutionary Village (approx. 2.9 miles away in New York); Samuel Champlain (approx. 3 miles away in New York); Chimney Point (approx. 3.2 miles away); Fort St. Frédéric (approx. The French at Crown Point (approx. 3.2 miles away in New York); Capture of Fort St. Frédéric (approx. 3.2 miles away in New York); The Barracks (approx. 3.3 miles away in New York); Crown Point: Military Focus (approx. 3.3 miles away in New York).
Categories. • Education •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Dennis Gilkenson of Saxtons River, Vermont. This page has been viewed 114 times since then and 9 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on , by Dennis Gilkenson of Saxtons River, Vermont. 2, 3. submitted on , by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on August 29, 2016.