Welcome to the National Road
The Historic National Road in Ohio
—West Gate —
Construction began in 1811 in Cumberland, Maryland, extending an earlier route from Baltimore. By 1818, the road reached the Ohio River; by 1833, it was completed to Columbus, Ohio; in 1850, it extended to Vandalia, Illinois.
The National Road is an engineering marvel. graceful stone arch bridges cross streams and rivers. Inns and taverns were built to meet the need of travelers. Many of the bridges and buildings that characterized the early days of the road can still be found in towns along the road today.
Much of the old National road is still part of U.S. Route 40. Several sections of the original road are no longer used as highways but can still be explored. The longest segment of the National Road is found in Ohio, covering 227 miles from Bridgeport on the east to the Indiana state line on the west.
Erected 2010 by The Rodeo Shop and generous members of the Ohio National Road Association.
Marker series. This marker is included in the The Historic National Road marker series.
Location. 39° 50.813′ N, 84° 38.678′ W. Marker is near Lewisburg, Ohio, in Preble County. Marker is on National Road (U.S. 40), on the right when traveling west. Click for map. Marker is located in a pull-off in front of the Rodeo Shop. Marker is at or near this postal address: 811 U.S. 40, Lewisburg OH 45338, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Euphemia (approx. 5.7 miles away); Camp Maple Swamp (approx. 6 miles away); Preble County Courthouse (approx. 7.1 miles away); William Bruce (approx. 7.1 miles away); Monument at Mound Hill Cemetery (approx. 7.2 miles away); Mound Hill Cemetery Civil War Memorial (approx. 7.3 miles away); Roberts Bridge / Timber Covered Bridge (approx. 7.4 miles away); Roberts Bridge (approx. 7.4 miles away).
Additional keywords. Old National Road
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Roads & Vehicles • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. This page has been viewed 122 times since then and 32 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on , by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on August 8, 2016.