Childress in Childress County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Colonel Wm. Edgar Hughes of the Mill Iron
Bought out Rocking Chair Ranch, Collingsworth County, 1896. Until 1898, ran only longhorns. Was said to have had the largest men, most practical jokers, longest cattle drives, biggest horses in Texas. He sold off the Last Mill Iron Herd in 1918-year of his death.
Erected 1965 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 968.)
Location. Click for map. Located on the Childress County Courthouse lawn. Marker is at or near this postal address: 100 Avenue E Northwest, Childress TX 79201, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Childress County (within shouting distance of this marker); Frank Collinson (approx. ¼ mile away); Childress Post Office Building (approx. ¼ mile away); Palace Theater (approx. ¼ mile away); Goodnight Trail (approx. 0.4 miles away); Childress Cemetery (approx. half a mile away); Old Railroad Y.M.C.A. (approx. 0.7 miles away); Morgan Hospital (approx. 0.8 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Childress.
Also see . . . Texas State Historical Association article on Colonel Hughes. (Submitted on August 9, 2016, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
Categories. • Agriculture • Industry & Commerce • Notable Persons • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 150 times since then and 8 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. 4. submitted on , by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. 5. submitted on , by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page was last revised on December 4, 2016.