De Kalb in Bowie County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Settled by 1831, when land was given for a public school by Dr. W. H. Boyce, Wm. L. Browning, D. M. Chisholm, Clement R. Johns and Judge (and Dr.) James W. Smith.
Site of first college in Bowie County, founded in 1839 and of Ninth Masonic Lodge in Texas, organized 1840. Served as county seat, 1840-1841. On two early stagelines. A stopover for U.S. immigrants to Texas Republic, and 49'ers on way to California gold rush.
In 1870's hideouts of train robbers Sam Bass, Jesse James, other notorious characters were nearby. Texas & Pacific Railroad reached here 1876. Site in 1889 of P. S. Ramseur's sawmill which shipped high quality lumber all over United States; to get logs to mill, he built a railroad, traces of which still exist. Although in 1896 and 1923 most of businesses were destroyed by fires, city prospers today. Center of ranching, truck farming, and pulpwood productions.
Known as "The Pride of East Texas".
Erected 1966 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 9475.)
Location. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: Northwest Fulton Street, De Kalb TX 75559, United States of America.
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker.
Also see . . . Wikipedia article on De Kalb, Texas. (Submitted on August 9, 2016, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Notable Persons • Settlements & Settlers • War, US Revolutionary •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 175 times since then and 26 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page was last revised on August 10, 2016.