Baton Rouge in East Baton Rouge Parish, Louisiana — The American South (West South Central)
The Founding of “Red Stick”
How Baton Rouge Got its Name
Over the years, French, British and Spanish flags each flew over the community. By the 1780's, still under Spanish rule, Baton Rouge had flourished. Its first neighborhoods, Spanish Town and Beauregard Town were designed in 1805 and 1806. By then, the local population had grown substantially. The river continued to bring new commerce and visitors. In 1810, the area became part of the colonies and in 1817, the town was officially incorporated.
Images: Pierre Le Moyne, Sieur d'Iberville and Map courtesy of The Louisiana Collection, State Library of Louisiana.
Location. 30° 26.721′ N, 91° 11.417′ W. Marker is in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, in East Baton Rouge Parish. Marker is on South River Road 0.2 miles north of Government Street, on the right when traveling south. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Baton Rouge LA 70802, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Johnny Rivers (here, next to Riverfront Plaza (within shouting distance of this marker); The D'Artaguiette Concession (within shouting distance of this marker); A-7E Corsair II (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Louisiana Vietnam War Memorial (about 500 feet away); Flag of the Confederate States of America (about 500 feet away); Flag of the State of Louisiana (about 500 feet away); Flag of West Florida (about 500 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Baton Rouge.
Categories. • Exploration • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on . This page has been viewed 97 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on . • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on August 11, 2016.