Bonham in Fannin County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
County officials first met at Jacob Black's cabin on the Red River. The county seat was moved in 1840 to Warren and in 1843 to Bois d' Arc, which was renamed in 1844 in honor of James Butler Bonham (1807-36), a hero of the siege of the Alamo.
Erected 1936 by the State of Texas. (Marker Number 8872.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Texas 1936 Centennial Markers and Monuments marker series.
Location. 33° 34.67′ N, 96° 10.736′ W. Marker is in Bonham, Texas, in Fannin County. Marker is at the intersection of North Main Street and West 5th Street, on the right when traveling north on North Main Street. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 101 East Sam Rayburn Drive, Bonham TX 75418, United States of America.
More about this marker. The plaque on the pink granite was replaced in 1975.
Also see . . . Texas State Historical Association article on Fannin County. (Submitted on August 10, 2016, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
Categories. • Government • Political Subdivisions • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 143 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page was last revised on August 11, 2016.