“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Wichita Falls in Wichita County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)

John F. O'Donohue

John F. O'Donohue Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, July 22, 2016
1. John F. O'Donohue Marker
Inscription. Mississippi native John F. O'Donohue (1885 - 1967) first came to Wichita Falls in 1909 as a scout for the J. M. Guffey Petroleum Company, which later became the Gulf Oil Corporation. While staying in the Jolene Hotel, the wildcatter O'Donohue staked out the company's first lease in Clay County in what became known as the Petrolia Oilfield near Henrietta. Without the assistance of a surveyor, he located the company's first major discovery well in the area.

After leaving the Guffey Company, O'Donohue opened an office in the Anderson-Bean building at this site, where other significant businesses, such as Wichita Truck, Wichita Falls Traction Co. and Floral Heights Realty had also operated. In 1916, he was appointed manager of the Wichita Falls Fuel and Development Company, a firm established by the city's Chamber of Commerce. He continued his success in the oil business, organizing the United Petroleum Producers Company in 1919. The next year, he joined the Cline Oil Company, and in 1927 he organized the Petroleum Producers Company, serving for many years as the group's president. In 1941, Shell Oil bought all of the stock in the company.

O'Donohue married Carrie Kell, daughter of oilman and miller Frank Kell, with whom O'Donohue was associated. Active in the local community, O'Donohue served as chair on the
Former location of offices of the Anderson-Bean building. image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, July 22, 2016
2. Former location of offices of the Anderson-Bean building.
board of MIdwestern University (now Midwestern State University). He also served as a director of many industry institutions: Independent Petroleum Associates of America, North Texas Oil and Gas Association, and Mid-Continent Oil and Gas Association of Texas, as well as Wichita Falls' First National Bank. In 1941, the Mid-Continent Oil and Gas Association honored O'Donohue with a Distinguished Service Award. He died in 1967 and was buried in the city's Crestview Memorial Park. Today, he is remembered for helping establish Wichita Falls in the petroleum industry.
Erected 2004 by the Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 15512.)
Location. 33° 54.768′ N, 98° 29.421′ W. Marker is in Wichita Falls, Texas, in Wichita County. Marker is on Eighth Street east of Indiana Avenue, on the right when traveling east. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 615 Eighth Street, Wichita Falls TX 76301, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Zale Legacy (within shouting distance of this marker); J. A. Kemp Wholesale Grocery Building (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Site of St. James Hotel (about 600 feet away); George Alonzo Soule (about 700 feet away); The Wichita Falls Bank Robbery of 1896 (about 800 feet away); Henry C. Luecke (approx. 0.2 miles away); Joseph Hudson Barwise (approx. mile away); Texas Governor James V. Allred (approx. mile away). Click for a list of all markers in Wichita Falls.
Categories. ExplorationNatural ResourcesNotable Persons
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 81 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page was last revised on August 12, 2016.
Paid Advertisement