Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Delray Beach in Palm Beach County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

West Settlers Historic District

 
 
West Settlers Historic District Marker image. Click for full size.
By Tim Fillmon, August 2, 2016
1. West Settlers Historic District Marker
Inscription. The West Settlers community, established in 1894 as Delray Beach’s first African-American community, was self-sufficient with commercial buildings and churches serving its residents. Originally N Blackmer Street, NW 5th Avenue was the hub of business and social activities. The building at the northwest comer of NW 1st Street and NW 5th Avenue was known as “The Fountainette” and contained a soda fountain, doctor’s offices, and a pharmacy. The pharmacy, run by Dr. Simon Barnes, was the only one to serve the African-American community. The former residence of Delray’s most prominent black educator and community leader, Solomon D. Spady, is located at 170 NW 5th Avenue. The circa 1926 Mission Revival structure is now a museum primarily dedicated to African-American history. One of the community’s earliest builders was William Robinson who developed the property at 315-317 NW 1st Street for his wife, Essie, in 1902. The Robinson homestead, one of the first in the area to have electricity, running water, and a telephone, was designated an official Red Cross hurricane shelter in the 1940s. In 1997, the community was locally designated the West Settlers Historic District.
 
Erected 2009 by The City of Delray Beach, EPOCH (Expanding & Preserving Our Cultural Heritage, Inc.) and the Florida
West Settlers Historic District Marker looking south on NW 5th Ave. image. Click for full size.
By Tim Fillmon, August 2, 2016
2. West Settlers Historic District Marker looking south on NW 5th Ave.
Department of State. (Marker Number F-668.)
 
Location. 26° 27.76′ N, 80° 4.696′ W. Marker is in Delray Beach, Florida, in Palm Beach County. Marker is on Northwest 5th Avenue 0.1 miles from West Atlantic Avenue (State Road 806), on the left when traveling north. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 60 Northwest 5th Avenue, Delray Beach FL 33444, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. City of Delray Beach (within shouting distance of this marker); Delray History (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named West Settlers Historic District (approx. 0.2 miles away); Cason Cottage (approx. 0.3 miles away); Florida East Coast Railway Station (approx. half a mile away); Old School Square Historic District (approx. half a mile away); Del-Ida Park Historic District (approx. 0.6 miles away); Marina Historic District (approx. 0.8 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Delray Beach.
 
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker.
 
Categories. African AmericansArchitectureSettlements & Settlers
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. This page has been viewed 129 times since then and 15 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on August 15, 2016.
Paid Advertisement