Childress in Childress County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Created • Organized
August 21, 1876 • April 11, 1887
Named in honor of
George Campbell Childress
1804 – 1841
A member of the Convention
Co-author of the Texas
Declaration of Independence
Childress, the County Seat
Erected 1936 by the State of Texas. (Marker Number 829.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Texas 1936 Centennial Markers and Monuments marker series.
Location. 34° 25.555′ N, 100° 12.318′ W. Marker is in Childress, Texas, in Childress County. Marker is at the intersection of Avenue E Northwest and North Main Street, on the right when traveling west on Avenue E Northwest. Click for map. Located on the lawn of the Childress County Courthouse. Marker is at or near this postal address: 100 Avenue E Northwest, Childress TX 79201, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Colonel Wm. Edgar Hughes of the Mill Iron (within shouting distance of this marker); Frank Collinson (approx. 0.2 miles away); Childress Post Office Building Palace Theater (approx. 0.2 miles away); Goodnight Trail (approx. 0.4 miles away); Childress Cemetery (approx. 0.6 miles away); Old Railroad Y.M.C.A. (approx. 0.6 miles away); Morgan Hospital (approx. ¾ mile away). Click for a list of all markers in Childress.
Also see . . .
1. Wikipedia article on Childress County. (Submitted on August 13, 2016, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
2. Wikipedia article on George Childress. (Submitted on August 13, 2016, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
Categories. • Political Subdivisions • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 206 times since then and 27 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page was last revised on August 13, 2016.