Coldspring in San Jacinto County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Townsite of Coldspring
Original town plat contained 14 blocks. First courthouse, of wood, burned 1915. Present stone building replaced it in 1918. By 1923 most of town had moved up the hill to present site.
Early schools included an 1847 academy, the 1880 "Male and Female Institute," and Mrs. India Grace's private school of 1880s.
Erected 1970 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 7652.)
Location. 30° 35.526′ N, 95° 7.739′ W. Marker is in Coldspring, Texas, in San Jacinto County. Marker is at the intersection of Church Street (Texas Route 150) and Byrd Avenue (County Route 1514), on the right when traveling north on Church Street. Click for map. On the Courthouse Lawn. Marker is in this post office area: Coldspring TX 77331, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 15 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Governor George Tyler Wood (a few steps from this marker); Old San Jacinto County Jail (approx. 0.3 San Jacinto County Jail (approx. 0.3 miles away); Early Roads in Polk County (approx. 7.9 miles away); Birthplace of Margo Jones (approx. 14 miles away); Locomotive No. 5 (approx. 14.1 miles away); Early Indian Trails (approx. 14.1 miles away); Site of Old Andress Inn (approx. 14.2 miles away but has been reported missing). Click for a list of all markers in Coldspring.
More about this marker. The courthouse in the picture is in the National Register of Historic Places
Also see . . .
1. Coldspring Website. (Submitted on August 11, 2016, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas.)
2. From The Handbook of Texas. (Submitted on August 11, 2016, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas.)
3. From Wikipedia. (Submitted on August 11, 2016, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas.)
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. This page has been viewed 148 times since then and 7 times this year. Last updated on , by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on August 15, 2016.