Claude in Armstrong County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Town of Claude
Jerry Cavanaugh, first resident, gave land for town. Post office was granted in 1888, with E.H. Trice, postmaster. Claude won a close race for county seat, 1890. Tie-breaking vote was cast by famous rancher Chas. Goodnight.
Churches were established in 1890 and a school built in 1891. Noted Panhandle historian Laura V. Hamner was an early teacher. Town was incorporated in 1909.
Erected 1971 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 5524.)
Location. 35° 6.575′ N, 101° 21.531′ W. Marker is in Claude, Texas, in Armstrong County. Marker is at the intersection of 1st Street (U.S. 287) and Trice Street, on the left when traveling west on 1st Street. Click for map. Located at the Armstrong County Courthouse. Marker is at or near this postal address: 100 Trice Street, Claude TX 79019, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Boy Scout Troop No. 17 (here, next to this marker); Route of Coronado Expedition (here, next to this marker); Dr. and Mrs. Wm. A. Warner (here, next to this marker); The Great Panhandle Indian Scare of 1891 (here, next to this marker); Charles Howard Roan (here, next to this marker); Armstrong County (here, next to this marker); Early Sheriffs (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Armstrong County Jail (about 500 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Claude.
Also see . . . Texas State Historical Association article on the Town of Claude. (Submitted on August 13, 2016, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
Categories. • Churches, Etc. • Education • Railroads & Streetcars • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 76 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page was last revised on August 13, 2016.