Paris in Lamar County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
from Red River County
Organized in 1841
Named in honor of
Mirabeau B. Lamar, 1798 – 1859
Father of Texas education
President of the Republic of Texas
1838 – 1841
Mount Vernon, 1843
Paris, originally called Pinhook,
1844, have served as county seat
Erected 1936 by the State of Texas. (Marker Number 8204.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Texas 1936 Centennial Markers and Monuments marker series.
Location. 33° 39.645′ N, 95° 36.125′ W. Marker is in Paris, Texas, in Lamar County. Marker is at the intersection of Bonham Street (U.S. 82) and 41st Street NW, on the right when traveling east on Bonham Street. Click for map. Located in a small roadside park. Marker is at or near this postal address: Bonham Street, Paris TX 75460, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Central National Road (approx. 2 miles away); Union Station (approx. 2 miles away); Paris (approx. 2.5 miles away); First National Bank of Paris The Paris Fire, 1916 (approx. 2.6 miles away); John James Culbertson (approx. 2.6 miles away); Lamar County, C. S. A. (approx. 2.6 miles away); Lamar County Courthouse (approx. 2.6 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Paris.
Also see . . . Texas State Historical Association article on Lamar County. (Submitted on August 13, 2016, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
Categories. • Government • Notable Persons • Political Subdivisions •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 192 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page was last revised on August 13, 2016.