This point overlooks the historic Neosho Crossing for "The Old Indian Trail" between Missouri and the Osage buffalo hunting grounds in central Oklahoma. The ford was located about eighty yards above the present dam. Two hundred Union soldiers of the 6th Kansas Cavalry, from Ft Scott, Ks., under the command of Col. J.G. Blunt, collected at this ford to rest their horses and plan their raid on John Mathews' trading post located nine blocks south, September 17, 1861.
After the Civil War, the Osages sold the east twenty five miles of their Kansas reservation to the government, and David Branson purchased the patent to the tract which comprises this park for $1.25 per acre. This landscape was neglected for nearly twenty years while scrub oak and brush flourished and made it useless wilderness. About 1885 a group of eighty far-sighted Oswego housewives concluded that this bluff area could be developed into a park and one of the beauty spots of Kansas. They organized "The Ladies Entertainment Society of Oswego", purchased this 26 acres for $900.00 and raised the money to pay for it by conducting food sales and ice cream socials. The society deeded this park to the City of Oswego in 1901.
Location. 37° 10.541′ N, 95° 6.097′ W. Marker is in Oswego, Kansas
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Historic Riverside Park (within shouting distance of this marker); The Little Town Well (approx. 0.6 miles away); John A. Mathews Park (approx. 0.6 miles away); Sulky Plow (approx. 0.6 miles away); Osage Indian Village (approx. 0.7 miles away); KATY Caboose Number 109 (approx. 0.8 miles away); Veterans Memorial Auditorium — Gymnasium (approx. 9.5 miles away); Parish of Sacred Heart - Chetopa (approx. 9.6 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Oswego.
Also see . . . Historical Riverside Park. (Submitted on August 15, 2016, by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas.)
Categories. • Charity & Public Work • Environment • Native Americans • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas. This page has been viewed 191 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas. This page was last revised on August 16, 2016.