Survival in a new era as Portsmouth’s waterfront declined in the nineteenth and early twentieth centuries, the Sheafe Warehouse was relegated to humble status. From 1850 until 1900, Joshua Stackpole used the structure as a carpenter shop and maintained it in only moderately good repair. In subsequent decades, Charles H. Stewart, proprietor of a nearby house of ill fame and an early antique dealer, used the building for storage. He sold it to the founders of Prescott Park in the 1930s, after which the structure was moved to its present location within the park and restored. The Great Bay, a Visual History, 1970, exhibition catalogue, Scudder Gallery, Paul Creative Arts Gallery, University of New Hampshire. Courtesy of Richard Candee.
1904 Map After the warehouse was sold to the founders of Prescott Park, it was moved
Original Location Note that in this 1813 map, the Sheafe Warehouse is in the same location as the 1904 map (above). In the map the portion of Mechanic Street nearest the Burying Ground is called Gravesend Street. Map of the compact port of Portsmouth in the State of New Hampshire, 1813 J.G. Hales Cartographer, Courtesy of the Portsmouth Athenaeum.
Artistic Subject Sheafe Warehouse was the subject of nineteenth century antiquarian photographs and romantic paintings like this Sarah Haven Foster watercolor (above) and painting by Russell Cheney (right). Today it is noted for its ancient and well-preserved frame. The second floor is braced by wooden “knees “similar to those used in ship construction and often cut from the roots and trunks of the native tamarack trees. Above: Warehouse of Jacob Sheafe, 1740, Mechanic Street, Watercolor, Sarah Haven Foster Collection. Courtesy of the Portsmouth Public Library. Right:” Sheafe Warehouse from Point of Graves” Painting by Russell Cheney, 1930s. Private Collection Funding for this historic marker was provided by the City of Portsmouth, 2009. www.cityofportsmouth.com
Erected 2009 by City of Portsmouth NH.
Location. 43° 4.539′ N, 70° 45.029′ W. Marker is in Portsmouth, New Hampshire, in Rockingham County. Marker is on Mechanic Street, on the left when traveling east. Click for map. Marker is in the corner of Prospect Park, on Mechanic Street, just before you cross over the Pierce Island Bridge. Marker is in this post office area: Portsmouth NH 03801, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Point of Graves (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Point of Graves (within shouting distance of this marker); Liberty Pole and Bridge (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Portsmouth NH Red Light District (about 400 feet away); Portsmouth NH Marine Railway (about 500 feet away); Oracle House (about 800 feet away); James (Stavers) (approx. 0.2 miles away); Memorial Bridge 1923-2012 (approx. 0.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Portsmouth.
Categories. • Architecture • Industry & Commerce •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by James R. Murray of Elkton, Florida. This page has been viewed 66 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by James R. Murray of Elkton, Florida. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on August 23, 2016.