Midville in Burke County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Bark Camp Church
Many of the congregation honorably served during the War Between the States as soldiers and as members of the Ladies Volunteer Association.
General Sherman's 17th Army Corps encamped at Bark Camp Church in December 1864.
United Daughters of the Confederacy®
Emanuel Rangers Chapter No. 2318
Marker series. This marker is included in the Shermans March to the Sea, and the United Daughters of the Confederacy marker series.
Location. 32° 53′ N, 82° 12.41′ W. Marker is in Midville, Georgia, in Burke County. Marker can be reached from Bark Camp Church Road, on the left when traveling west. Click for map. Located approximately 300 yards west from Ga Highway 56. Marker is in this post office area: Midville GA 30441, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. A different marker also named Bark Camp Church (approx. 0.3 miles away); Sherman at Midville (approx. 4.7 miles away); Sherman at the Jones Plantation (approx. 5.4 miles away); Old Town Plantation Old Savannah Road (approx. 7.2 miles away but has been reported missing); Summerville (approx. 10.4 miles away); Big Buckhead Church (approx. 10.7 miles away); Cavalry Action at Buckhead Church (approx. 10.7 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Midville.
Regarding Bark Camp Church. History Of Bark Camp Church ~
The Bark Camp Church probably got its name from a small settlement located three miles east of the present building near the Jenkins County line and on the east side of what became Bark Camp Creek. Hardy souls were in this area as early as 1740 hunting and grazing cattle on Indian land. For temporary shelter pioneers would construct lean-to type shelters and
cover them with bark, a method learned from the Indians, hence bark camp. The present location of the church came to be called Bark Camp Crossroads. At least four roads came together in front of the church. The main road in front of the building went from Birdsville to Louisville. That is why the church is facing south. Bark Camp Crossroads boasted the second oldest Post Office in the State of Georgia after Birdsville.
center of worship, culture and hospitality in one of the oldest settlements in Burke County. Many wealthy plantation owners were among the early members.
The church began with twenty-nine charter members that included Silas Scarbore, its first pastor, Zebulon Cock and John Allen, who were its first deacons. Zebulon Cock gave the first plot of land. The congregation has built four houses of worship. The first was made of round logs (probable with the bark left on) followed by a hewn log and clapboard buildings.
Moses Fuller constructed the fourth and present building in the spring of 1847 at the cost of $1,700. His wife, Laura, erected a fairly large marker in the cemetery in memory of Mr. Fuller. Charles A. Burton gave the church four acres and sold an additional four acres for $25 for the stately edifice. In 1848 two chairs, a sofa and a communion table were purchased for the new church. The beautiful pulpit Bible was given to the church by Mrs. Adelaide Sneed. The original communion set was probably given
Prominent names among the membership include: Bunns, Murphees, Nasworthys, Jones, Knights, Holtons, Inmans,
Burtons, Grubbs, Crosses, Netherlands, Robinsons, Skinners, Colemans, Hicksons, Smith and many others. Jonathan Coleman, a Revolutionary War Veteran, and charter member of the church is buried in the cemetery.
It is documented that Bark Camp Church was visited by Sherman’s raiders in Dec. of 1864.
Bark Camp Church was a powerful force for God for 170 years before its doors closed in 1958. Families in the community moved away and the younger generation went to college and never returned. From that 18th century beginning the church grew through the years to serve Burke County and beyond. It was instrumental in organizing Hephzibah Baptist Association and delegates were sent to Augusta in May of 1845 to help form the Southern Baptist Convention. From the Bark Camp Church came, either directly or indirectly churches such as: Midville, Rosier, Hines, Hawhammock, Summertown, and Bark Camp Baptist Church on McGruder Road.
Gone are the sights and sounds of regular worship, but the Bark Camp Church building, in all its dignity, graces
cemetery, and as we continue to preserve this heritage for future generations to enjoy and reflect upon.
After the restoration of Bank Camp Church building and cemetery in 2004, we have organized a 501 (c) 3 non-profit organization with elected officials and hold our annual meeting the 3rd Saturday of April at 11 a.m. We have a speaker, business session, dinner on the picnic tables underneath the giant oak trees, and a fund-raising auction. The money raised at the auction goes into a special account for perpetual care for our cemetery. It is our goal to raise $20,000 for
perpetual care of the cemetery. We will gladly accept donations and would greatly appreciate being remembered in your will.
History sketch written by Rev. Leonard Quick, who was the driving force organizing the restoration of old Bark Camp Church. Mr. Quick and his family were members of the church in the late 40s and 50s, He was ordained as a Baptist minister at Bark Camp in November 1953. After his retirement and moving back home
Also see . . . Bark Camp Baptist Church. According to Albert Hillhouse’s history of Burke County, the Bark Camp community was an early settlement that developed around “an original camp site for itinerant cattlemen. . . . A ‘bark camp’ was a crude, bark-covered lean-to which Indians taught early settlers to make.” A nearby creek carried the same name. (Submitted on July 12, 2011, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
Categories. • Churches, Etc. •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 831 times since then and 37 times this year. Last updated on , by Harry Gatzke of Huntsville, Alabama. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on August 27, 2016.