Star-Spangled Banner National Historic Trail
—War of 1812. —
Descending the Potomac proved harder for vessels loaded down with plunder. Defiant Americans fired from gun batteries at White House, Virginia, and Indian Head, Maryland, during six days called the “Battle of the Potomac.”
“Although our main Force should be landed in the Patuxent, yet a Tolerably good Diversion should at the same Time be sent up the Potomac..to distract and divide the Enemy.”
Rear Adm. George Cockburn to Vice Adm. Sir Alexander F.I. Cochrane July 17, 1814.
(Inscription under the map in the lower left)
The British ships had difficulty maneuvering a shallow section of the Potomac known as Kettle Bottom Shoals, highlighted on this 1813 William Tatham map.
(Inscription bedside the image on the right)
The British fired on a guard house at Lower Cedar Point August 21, 1814, during the 23-day feint on the Potomac. The previous month local militia repulsed British raiders who burned a tobacco warehouse.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Star Spangled Banner National Historic Trail marker series.
Location. 38° 22.146′ N, 76° 57.648′ W. Marker is in Newburg, Maryland, in Charles County. Marker is on Crain Highway (U.S. 301). Click for map. The marker is in front of the entrance to the Crain Memorial Information Center. Marker is at or near this postal address: 12480 Crain Highway, Newburg MD 20664, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. John Wilkes Booth (here, next to this marker); Cliffton (approx. 0.2 miles away); Wolleston Manor (approx. 0.6 miles away); 300 Year Old Southern Red Oak (approx. 0.8 miles away); a different marker also named “Cliffton” (approx. 1.2 miles away); Christ Church (approx. 1.6 miles away); Crossing the Potomac (approx. 2.5 miles away); Keechland (approx. 3.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Newburg.
Categories. • War of 1812 •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. This page has been viewed 92 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on August 24, 2016.