“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Tilton in Belknap County, New Hampshire — The American Northeast (New England)

The Town of Tilton

Tilton Riverfront Park

The Town of Tilton Marker image. Click for full size.
By Anton Schwarzmueller, August 18, 2016
1. The Town of Tilton Marker
Inscription. In 1850, approximately 100 years after the town of Sanbornton was settled, a group of citizens petitioned to form a new town. Voted on at a special town meeting in 1869, and approved by the voters and the governor of N.H., the town of Tilton was formed. It was named in honor of its most famous, wealthiest and unsparingly generous citizen, Charles E. Tilton.

Through the town was incorporated in 1869, it was a thriving village for many years before that. A map of 1814 shows that Tilton, then known as Sanbornton Bridge, boasted a hotel, nearly twenty homes, three stores, a doctor, a lawyer, and a dozen small mills and craftmen's shops.

History abounds in Tilton; the Tilton Riverfront Park (TRP) is only one of many historic sites to see when visiting. The TRP is one stop on an historic tour of architecture and sculpture that takes visitors through downtown Tilton, ending at Island Park. Included on the National Register of Historic Places, downtown Tilton showcases fine examples of eighteenth snd nineteenth century architecture, including ornate commercial Victorian buildings, a gothic revival church, a Victorian hardware store, and nineteenth-century statuary. Island Park, in the Winnipesaukee River at the east end of downtown, was created by Charles Tilton in 1865 and was once home to a Victorian summerhouse and many pieces
The Town of Tilton Marker at Riverfront Park image. Click for full size.
By Anton Schwarzmueller, August 18, 2016
2. The Town of Tilton Marker at Riverfront Park
Marker is pictured at center beyond the bike rack. The stairs lead up to the main shelter along US 3, and lead down to the river.
of nineteenth century statuary. The cast iron footbridge that was erected in 1881 still remains, and is a fine example of a now rarely used Truesdell truss.

A brochure is available at the Tilton Town Hall that contaons more information about the many other sites on the Tilton and Northfield Historic Walking Tour.
Erected by Public Service of New Hampshire.
Location. 43° 26.569′ N, 71° 35.654′ W. Marker is in Tilton, New Hampshire, in Belknap County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of West Main Street (U.S. 3) and Winter Street, on the left when traveling west. Click for map. Marker is in Riverfront Park with two others. Marker is in this post office area: Tilton NH 03276, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Tilton Mills (a few steps from this marker); The Winnipesaukee River (within shouting distance of this marker); Soldiers' Monument (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Northfield WWI Memorial (about 400 feet away); Tilton WWI Memorial (approx. 0.3 miles away); In Grateful Tribute (approx. 0.4 miles away); Birthplace of Hon. Moody Currier (approx. 8.9 miles away); The Webster Homestead (approx. 8.9 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Tilton.
Categories. Settlements & Settlers
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York. This page has been viewed 77 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York. This page was last revised on August 26, 2016.
Paid Advertisement