“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Terrell in Kaufman County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)

Gov. Oscar Branch Colquitt (1861-1940)

This Block is the Former Homesite of

Gov. Oscar Branch Colquitt (1861-1940) Marker image. Click for full size.
By Rheba Bybee, August 28, 2016
1. Gov. Oscar Branch Colquitt (1861-1940) Marker
Inscription. Twenty-fourth Governor of Texas (1911-1915). Known as "The Napoleon of Texas Politics" and "Little Oscar" because of his short stature, Colquitt was a strong and independent chief executive. His stump speeches were among the most effective of his times.

A descendant of American Revolution and Civil War fighters, Colquitt was born in Georgia. He worked as a tenant farmer and newspaperman before serving as a Texas Senator. He was railroad commissioner, 1903-1911, and his efforts in office for Galveston gained him the title "Daddy of the Causeway".

In his second race for the office, he was elected Governor on an anti-Prohibition ticket. His legal residence was in Terrell during both terms and he had owned the Terrell "Times-Star" in the 1890s.

While in office, Colquitt achieved prison reforms. (He campaigned with a bullwhip in hand to publicize prison brutality.) He helped preserve the Alamo as a Texas shrine. Homes for the insane and retarded were improved under him, and he also spearheaded advancements in education and backed labor bills.

In 1885 he had married Alice F. Murrell, by whom he had five children. After 1915 he entered private business and worked as a U.S. government official.
Erected 1969 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number
Gov. Oscar Branch Colquitt (1861-1940) image. Click for full size.
By Rheba Bybee, August 28, 2016
2. Gov. Oscar Branch Colquitt (1861-1940)
Location. 32° 44.263′ N, 96° 16.703′ W. Marker is in Terrell, Texas, in Kaufman County. Marker is at the intersection of West Nash Street and North Frances Street, on the right when traveling west on West Nash Street. Click for map. Marker is in the parking lot of the Terrell Healthcare Center. Marker is at or near this postal address: 204 West Nash Street, Terrell TX 75160, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Carnegie Library Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Carnegie Public Library (within shouting distance of this marker); The American National Bank (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Church of the Good Shepherd (about 700 feet away); First Baptist Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); First Christian Church of Terrell (approx. 0.2 miles away); First United Methodist Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Texas & Pacific Railroad Freight Depot (approx. 0.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Terrell.
Also see . . .  Gov. Oscar Branch Colquitt. (Submitted on August 31, 2016.)
Categories. Politics
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Rheba Bybee of Seagoville, Texas. This page has been viewed 161 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Rheba Bybee of Seagoville, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on August 31, 2016.
Paid Advertisement