Newark in Licking County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
The present house was built in 1869 by Dixon Brown, a Somerset, Ohio merchant, as a wedding present for his daughter, Ella Brown McCune.
The second owner, Melville O. Baker, occupied the house from 1879-1893, when Mr. Baker moved to Coshocton to found the Coshocton National Bank.
Dr. and Mrs. Claude A. Stimson occupied the house until 1945. He conducted his medical practice next door.
The Merrill Montgomery family owned the property until 1975 when it was purchased and restored by Mr. and Mrs. J. Gilbert Reese.
Location. 40° 3.568′ N, 82° 24.073′ W. Marker is in Newark, Ohio, in Licking County. Marker is at the intersection of North Second Street and East Church Street, on the right when traveling north on North Second Street. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 40 North Second Street, Newark OH 43055, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. "Double Arrow" Wrought Iron Fence (a few steps from this marker); Soldiers' and Sailors' Memorial Building (within shouting distance of this marker); The Donald D. Hill County Administration Building (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Congressional Medal of Honor Recipients The John W. Alford Building (about 800 feet away); Early Transportation in Newark (approx. ¼ mile away); The History of Licking Memorial Hospital (approx. ¼ mile away); Veteran's Park (approx. half a mile away). Click for a list of all markers in Newark.
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. This page has been viewed 127 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. This page was last revised on August 31, 2016.