“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Denver in Denver County, Colorado — The American Mountains (Southwest)

St. Elmo Hotel



—Lower Downtown Walking Tour —

St. Elmo Hotel Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, July 28, 2016
1. St. Elmo Hotel Marker
Inscription. The St. Elmo Hotel, constructed in 1896, joined a pantheon of grand and small hotels clustered in lower downtown to serve railroad travelers. In 1870, the first Denver Pacific locomotive pulled into Denver, and prosperity followed close on its wheels. During the Silver Boom of the 1880's, Denver became the hub city for the wild growth and spectacular mining strikes in Leadville, Aspen, Georgetown, the San Juan Mountains and Cripple Creek. The paydirt flowed into Denver, financing a gilding of the Queen City of the Plains replete with Victorian opulence and civic improvements. Hotels, particularly those located near the bustling rail yards, provided a haven of rest for weary travelers, railroad workers and the local populace looking for luxury dining and civilized entertainment. The Windsor at 18th & Larimer Streets opened in 1880, billing itself as the 'finest hotel in the west.' The Albany took up the challenge for the title in 1885, then the Metropole opened in 1891. The long-lost splendor of the Inter-Ocean Hotel, Planters' House, Alvord House, the American Hotel, the Wentworth Hotel and the Gumry Hotel at 1725 Lawrence, destroyed by a boiler explosion fire in 1895, overshadowed the modest charms of the St. Elmo. With a location just two blocks from Union Station and advertised as a small, 'less expensive' hotel, the St. Elmo catered
Former St. Elmo Hotel image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, July 28, 2016
2. Former St. Elmo Hotel
Now home to restaurants.
to railway passengers and workers. Its first proprietor listed in the city directory was Mrs. T. Haffbe. Typical of the construction of western towns, the St. Elmo Hotel began as a frame building, subsequently replaced by brick and stone to resist the ever-present threat of fire.
Erected by the Lower Downtown Historic District.
Location. 39° 45.079′ N, 104° 59.854′ W. Marker is in Denver, Colorado, in Denver County. Marker is at the intersection of 17th Street and Blake Street, on the left when traveling south on 17th Street. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1433 17th Street, Denver CO 80202, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Clark and Gruber Mint (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Oxford Hotel and Annex (about 600 feet away); Let the Buyer Beware (about 600 feet away); Sugar Building 1906 (about 700 feet away); Henry Lee Building - 1907 (about 800 feet away); Denver City Railway Building (about 800 feet away); Edward W. Wynkoop (about 800 feet away); Union Station Area (approx. 0.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Denver.
Categories. Notable BuildingsRailroads & Streetcars
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 135 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page was last revised on September 2, 2016.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Additional photos of whole building. • Can you help?
Paid Advertisement