“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Columbus in Franklin County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)

The Fireproof Building

The Fireproof Building Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, June 5, 2016
1. The Fireproof Building Marker
Inscription. Constructed in 1909 and renovated for residential and commercial use in 2014, The Fireproof Building was originally home to Fireproof Warehouse and Storage Co. and was first used to protect personal possessions. With steel doors & solid concrete walls, The Fireproof Building was synonymous with security, and was designated a Civil Defense Fallout Shelter during World War II.

On June 2, 1922 the facade of the original Fireproof building was cut back 10 feet due to the widening of High Street for increased automobile use along with cable cars. This created the beautiful front structure we see today.

As the moving & storage industry changed, the building transitioned into secure storage for business assets. For over 30 years it served as headquarters for Fireproof Records Center one of the country’s largest information storage companies.

The Fireproof Building spans over a century of industry development and change personifying the vibrant spirit of strength and innovation abundantin Columbus’ Short North Community.
Location. 39° 58.994′ N, 83° 0.273′ W. Marker is in Columbus, Ohio, in Franklin County. Marker is at the intersection of North High Street and Aston Row Lane, on the right when traveling north on North
The Fireproof Building and Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, June 5, 2016
2. The Fireproof Building and Marker
High Street. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1026 N High St, Columbus OH 43201, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within one mile of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Father Rocco Petrarca (approx. half a mile away); Reverend Father Alexander Cestelli / Chiesta Italiana di San Giovanni Battista (approx. half a mile away); Lincoln Goodale (approx. 0.6 miles away); Tod Barracks, 1863 (approx. 0.7 miles away); Flytown (approx. 0.7 miles away); Iskcon Krishna House (approx. 0.9 miles away); NECKO Neighborhood / E. J. McMillen Homestead Addition (approx. one mile away); Old Ohio Union (approx. one mile away). Click for a list of all markers in Columbus.
More about this marker. The marker mentions “cable cars” on High Street. It should read “streetcars” as cable cars never ran on High Street. Electric powered streetcars, also known as trolleys, ran on High Street up to Clintonville from 1899 to 1948.
Regarding The Fireproof Building. Today the building houses loft-style apartments ranging from 785 square-foot studios to 2,350 square-foot two-bedroom units.
Also see . . .  From Horse-drawn to High Tech, Fireproof Storage Spans the Century
The Fireproof Building image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, June 5, 2016
3. The Fireproof Building
. 2000 article by Jeff Bell is about the building’s previous uses. “Ed James says its sturdy, fireproof concrete construction appealed to the city's more affluent residents who would put their furniture, Oriental rugs, fine crystal, works of art and other valuables in storage while spending the winter in warmer climates. One room, heated by steam radiators, was set aside for pianos. A large, bank-style vault in the front office held the diamonds, gold, silver and other jewels that didn't make the trip south with their wealthy owners.” (Submitted on September 2, 2016.) 
Categories. 20th CenturyArchitectureIndustry & Commerce
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. This page has been viewed 73 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. This page was last revised on September 2, 2016.
Paid Advertisement