Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Manistee in Manistee County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

The Gardner Building

 
 
The Gardner Building Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., August 24, 2016
1. The Gardner Building Marker
Inscription.

In the summer of 1878, this building was constructed by John Mee and leased to Clark D. Gardner. The building measures 24 X 50, described following its construction as "without exception the finest of its kind north of Grand Rapids". It was painted black with gold trim and had the distinction of being the first in the city to have single pane display windows.

Gardner, an Ohio native, moved to Manistee from Oceana County in 1867, where he had operated a jewelry business. Establishing himself in Manistee he operated a jewelry store in two locations in the city, being burned out of each, before leasing the building.

Gardner and his family operated a jewelry store at this location for 95 years. For many years a large clock mounted on an ornate pedestal stood in front of the store on the sidewalk serving as a landmark and community timepiece.

Year Built: 1878
Architect: Unknown
First Owner: John Mee
Style: Commercial Victorian
Address: 431 River Street
 
Location. 44° 14.848′ N, 86° 19.514′ W. Marker is in Manistee, Michigan, in Manistee County. Marker is at the intersection of River Street and Oak Street, on the left when traveling west on River Street. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 431 River Street, Manistee MI 49660, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers.

The Gardner Building and Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., August 24, 2016
2. The Gardner Building and Marker
At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Thompson Building (a few steps from this marker); The Lyman Building (within shouting distance of this marker); The Haley Block (within shouting distance of this marker); The Tunnel (within shouting distance of this marker); Pere Marquette Line Steamers (within shouting distance of this marker); The Maple Street Bridge (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Improving Justice (about 600 feet away); Furniture Factories (about 600 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Manistee.
 
Regarding The Gardner Building. C. D. GARDNER, is a native of Ohio, and came to Manistee in the year 1867, from Pentwater, where he had resided for two years. Upon coming here he opened a jewelry store near the Canfield store, that being in the center of the town at that time. In the Fall of 1867 he removed to River Street, nearly opposite the Baur Exchange. Was burned out in the fire of 1869, and again in 1871. In 1879 he removed to his present location, at the corner of River and Oak Streets. Mr. Gardner served three years and nine months in the war, having enlisted in April, 1861, in the Eighth Ohio Infantry. He represented the Second Ward as alderman from 1876 to 1880, and has held various other local offices. Last year he was the Republican candidate for city recorder, but as the city is Democratic he was defeated.

From History of Manistee, Mason and Oceana counties, Michigan (1882)
 
Also see . . .
1. History of Manistee, Michigan. (Submitted on September 2, 2016, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. Manistee Commercial National Register Historic District Buildings. (Submitted on September 2, 2016, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
 
Categories. Notable Buildings
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 90 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page was last revised on September 2, 2016.
Paid Advertisement