Granby in Hartford County, Connecticut — The American Northeast (New England)
Lost Acres Fire Dept.
Horace B. Clark, Fire Commissioner the City Hartford was the man responsible for the development of the Lost Acres Fire Department. Mr. Clark had a large estate “Lost Acres” in North Granby from which the name of the present fire company is derived in compliment to him. On June 1, 1936 eleven men responded to a call to organize a volunteer fire department at Lost Acres. On February 24, 1941 L.A.F.D. became incorporated with thirty-one active members.
Eleven Men and Members Who Have Served
Ten or More Years of Active Service
In 1944, when a shortage of Granby firefighters occurred during W.W.II, the Women’s Forest Fire Crew was organized. These same women formed the L.A.F.D. Women’s Auxiliary. In June, 1946 they provide food at fire emergencies, raise funds for the L.A.F.D., march at parades, help with fire prevention activities and contribute to the welfare of fire victims. Before modern technology, members were alerted to fire calls by the auxiliary using home phones and operating fire siren controls.
volunteered their time and talent to serve the
residents of Granby with fire prevention, fire
suppression and emergency service.
Location. Click for map. Located in front of the Lost Acres Fire Dept. Center Station. Marker is in this post office area: Granby CT 06035, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Granby (within shouting distance of this marker); Granby Veterans Wall (approx. 0.2 miles away); Veteran's Monument (approx. half a mile away); Granby Civil War Monument (approx. 0.6 miles away); Site of Original First Congregational Church Meetinghouse (approx. 0.6 miles away); World War I Memorial (approx. 0.6 miles away); East Granby (approx. 3.1 miles away); East Granby Roll of Honor (approx. 3.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Granby.
Also see . . . Lost Acres Fire Department. (Submitted on September 4, 2016, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.)
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. This page has been viewed 149 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. This page was last revised on September 4, 2016.