Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Dearborn in Wayne County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

U.S. Arsenal 1839-1875 Powder Magazine

 
 
U.S. Arsenal 1839-1875 Powder Magazine Marker image. Click for full size.
By Joel Seewald, September 2, 2016
1. U.S. Arsenal 1839-1875 Powder Magazine Marker
Inscription. The powder magazine, 23' by 67', originally built in 1839 as part of the 1833 - 1875 Detroit Arsenal in Dearbornville, was located about 930 feet east of the eleven buildings shown on the edges of this marker. It was made of local brick, featured 30' walls, vaulted brick ceiling, pegged beams, slate roof, ventilators and two massive, copper-clad wooden doors. The property was purchased in 1883 by Nathaniel Ross who remodeled and occupied it in 1884. His daughter, Mary Elizabeth Ross, who died here in 1950, willed it to Dearborn for museum purposes. Named for her parents, the McFadden-Ross Museum opened on October 27, 1956. A cave-in revealed the well in 1967.
 
Erected 1976 by Dearborn Historical Commission.
 
Location. 42° 18.481′ N, 83° 14.408′ W. Marker is in Dearborn, Michigan, in Wayne County. Marker is at the intersection of South Brady Street and Garrison Street, on the right when traveling north on South Brady Street. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 915 South Brady Street, Dearborn MI 48124, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Richard Gardner House (within shouting distance of this marker); Making Moves (approx. 0.2
U.S. Arsenal 1839-1875 Powder Magazine (McFadden-Ross House) image. Click for full size.
By Joel Seewald, September 2, 2016
2. U.S. Arsenal 1839-1875 Powder Magazine (McFadden-Ross House)
miles away); U.S. Arsenal-Sutler's Shop (approx. 0.2 miles away); A Military Reserve (approx. 0.2 miles away); Michigan Soldiers Trained at U.S. Arsenal During Civil War (approx. 0.2 miles away); Commandant's Quarters (approx. 0.2 miles away); U.S. Arsenal Officers' - Surgeons' Quarters and Barracks 1833 - 1875 (approx. mile away); U.S. Arsenal 1833 - 1875 (approx. mile away). Click for a list of all markers in Dearborn.
 
Also see . . .  About the Museum. The McFadden-Ross House is one of two buildings that house the Dearborn Historical Museum. (Submitted on September 6, 2016, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.) 
 
Categories. EducationForts, Castles
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. This page has been viewed 131 times since then and 11 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. This page was last revised on September 6, 2016.
Paid Advertisement