Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Friendswood in Galveston County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Oldest Structure Remaining

1903

 
 
Oldest Structure Remaining Marker image. Click for full size.
By Jim Evans, September 8, 2016
1. Oldest Structure Remaining Marker
Inscription. The Nathan and Mary Perry home here at 109 W. Spreading Oaks is the oldest structure remaining from the Quaker Settlement era. No photo of the house has been found. (Old timers memories were called upon to provide data for the restoration.) The photo is of the Perry family who were called as the first pastors to the community in 1901, and started building their home here on a five-acre tract of land close to the Academy. The house was completed and occupied in 1903.

Other Quaker settlers built similar two-story homes on their farm sites. However, only the Perry house and a couple of others from that era escaped demolition by developers who were constructing subdivisions for newcomers beginning in the 1950s. This turn-of-the century house museum is owned by the Friendswood Historical Society who salvaged and restored it. It is open to visitors at posted times and by appointment.
 
Erected 2012 by Friendswood Historical Society.
 
Location. 29° 31.644′ N, 95° 12.059′ W. Marker is in Friendswood, Texas, in Galveston County. Marker is at the intersection of West Spreading Oaks Avenue and Laurel Drive, on the left when traveling west on West Spreading Oaks Avenue. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Friendswood TX 77546, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers.
Copied from the Oldest Structure Remaining Marker image. Click for full size.
2. Copied from the Oldest Structure Remaining Marker
At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Quaker Academy (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Friendswood Postal Service (about 600 feet away); Friends Church Cemetery (about 600 feet away); Friendswood (about 600 feet away); First Business (about 600 feet away); Cecil and Frances Brown House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Fig Preserving Plant (approx. 0.2 miles away); First Home and First Family (approx. 0.4 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Friendswood.
 
Regarding Oldest Structure Remaining. Friendswood is a settlement of Quakers begun in the late 1800s.
 
Also see . . .
1. From The Handbook of Texas. (Submitted on September 8, 2016, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas.)
2. From Wikipedia. (Submitted on September 8, 2016, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas.)
3. City of Friendswood Website. (Submitted on September 8, 2016, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas.)
4. Friendswood Historical Society. (Submitted on September 8, 2016, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas.)
 
Additional keywords. Quakers, Society of Friends
 
Categories. ArchitectureChurches, Etc.Settlements & Settlers
 
Oldest Structure Remaining image. Click for full size.
By Jim Evans, September 8, 2016
3. Oldest Structure Remaining
Marker can be seen in the distance near the right side of the house
Plaque Acknowledging the Gift of the House to the Society image. Click for full size.
By Jim Evans, September 8, 2016
4. Plaque Acknowledging the Gift of the House to the Society
Mural on Fence of House Property (obviously neither fence nor mural are original) image. Click for full size.
By Jim Evans, September 8, 2016
5. Mural on Fence of House Property (obviously neither fence nor mural are original)
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. This page has been viewed 129 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on , by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas.   2. submitted on , by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas.   3, 4, 5. submitted on , by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on October 19, 2016.
Paid Advertisement