Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Gainesville in Cooke County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Cooke County Courthouse

 
 
Cooke County Courthouse Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, July 21, 2016
1. Cooke County Courthouse Marker
Inscription. Settlement of the area now known as Cooke County began in late 1845. The county was created by the State Legislature in 1848 and named for William G. Cooke, Republic of Texas Quartermaster General and a participant in the Battle of San Jacinto. Land for a county seat was donated by Mary E. Clark, and the new town was Gainesville in honor of U.S. Army General Edmund Pendleton Gaines.

There have been four courthouses located on this site. The first, a small log structure, was erected in 1850. It was replaced in 1853 by a one-story frame building which was later destroyed by fire. The third courthouse, a two-story limestone structure, was completed in 1880 and destroyed by fire in 1909.

Designed by the Dallas architectural firm of Lang and Witchell, construction of this Beaux Arts style courthouse began in 1910. The Gainesville firm of Garrett and Collins served as supervising architects, and M. P. Kelly of Gainesville was the contractor. The impressive brick and limestone building features terra cotta ornamentation, eagle brackets, and a copper-clad dome. Clocks were added to the dome in 1920 as a World War I memorial. The courthouse is an important North Texas Landmark.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
 
Erected 1988 by Texas Historical Commission.
Cooke County Courthouse image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, July 21, 2016
2. Cooke County Courthouse
(Marker Number 1055.)
 
Location. 33° 37.432′ N, 97° 8.728′ W. Marker is in Gainesville, Texas, in Cooke County. Marker is at the intersection of South Dixon Street and West Main Street, on the right when traveling south on South Dixon Street. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 100 South Dixon Street, Gainesville TX 76240, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Old California Trail (within shouting distance of this marker); Barbed Wire in Cooke County (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Santa Fe Passenger Depot (approx. 0.3 miles away); Gainesville-Fort Sill Road (approx. 0.3 miles away); Gainesville Community Circus (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Great Hanging at Gainesville, 1862 (approx. 0.4 miles away); American Paint Horse Association (approx. half a mile away); Cooke County C.S.A. / 2nd Frontier Regiment (approx. half a mile away). Click for a list of all markers in Gainesville.
 
Also see . . .  Texas Escapes on the Cooke County Courthouse. (Submitted on September 8, 2016, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
 
Categories. ArchitectureLandmarksNotable BuildingsSettlements & Settlers
 
Cooke County Courthouse & Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, July 21, 2016
3. Cooke County Courthouse & Marker
2006 Courthouse renovation plaque. image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, July 21, 2016
4. 2006 Courthouse renovation plaque.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 125 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page was last revised on September 8, 2016.
Paid Advertisement