Paris in Lamar County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Lamar County Courthouse
The county judge and commissioners court and Carl G. Staats reviewed the designs of several courthouses around the state. Some Paris residents requested that the new courthouse be built in the center of its lot in keeping with the city's plans for wide roads at the town square, but the court decided that it would be more efficient to build the new structure upon the same foundation as the old courthouse.
The upper ruins of the old courthouse were dismantled by July 1916. In late August the commissioners chose J. C. Buchanan and J. N. Gilder of Fort Worth, who did significant work in rebuilding Paris after the fire, to serve as contractors. Construction began in September. By that time the restoration and renovation of several other buildings around the square was nearing completion, and downtown Paris took on a modern appearance. Completed by November 1917, the new courthouse was built of fireproof concrete covered by rough pink granite salvaged from the 1897 building. Distinctive features of the imposing Classical edifice include corner pavilions and engaged granite columns and the Classical cornice with matching terra
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Erected 2000 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 12313.)
Location. 33° 39.733′ N, 95° 33.388′ W. Marker is in Paris, Texas, in Lamar County. Marker is at the intersection of West Houston Street and North Main Street, on the left when traveling east on West Houston Street. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 119 North Main Street, Paris TX 75460, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Lamar County, C. S. A. (a few steps from this marker); First National Bank of Paris (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); John James Culbertson (about 400 feet away); The Paris Fire, 1916 (about 500 feet away); Paris (about 700 feet away); Paris Fire Department (approx. 0.2 miles away); St. Joseph's Hospital (approx. half a mile away); Central National Road (approx. 0.6 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Paris.
Categories. • Architecture • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 118 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page was last revised on September 9, 2016.