Terrell in Kaufman County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
William Henry Burnett
(1872 - 1944)
After teaching in several communities, including South Prong, Burnett became principal of Terrell's Black School in 1900. Among his accomplishments during 44 years of service in that capacity were the organization of the system's first high school program and the formation of a school band which he directed. Noted for his public speaking ability and his teacher workshops and seminars, he became one of the leading educators of the state. He was also an active Mason, church member and civic leader.
Burnett's commitment to quality education had a dramatic impact on the development of Terrell's school system. Because of his lasting contributions to area children, the elementary school at this site was named for him in 1979.
Erected 1982 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 9423.)
Location. Click for map. In front of the W. H. Burnett Elementary School. Marker is at or near this postal address: 921 South Rockwall Avenue, Terrell TX 75160, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Old Graveyard (approx. 0.4 miles away); Bethlehem Baptist Church (approx. 0.4 miles away); Robert A. Terrell Home (approx. 0.6 miles away); Texas & Pacific Railroad Freight Depot (approx. 0.7 miles away); The American National Bank (approx. ¾ mile away); Gov. Oscar Branch Colquitt (1861-1940) (approx. 0.8 miles away); Carnegie Library Building (approx. 0.8 miles away); Carnegie Public Library (approx. 0.8 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Terrell.
Categories. • African Americans • Education •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Rheba Bybee of Seagoville, Texas. This page has been viewed 109 times since then and 24 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by Rheba Bybee of Seagoville, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on September 12, 2016.