Thermopolis in Hot Springs County, Wyoming — The American West (Mountains)
White Sulphur Springs
Early settlers in the area recognized the therapeutic values of the mineral springs. Local pharmacies actually bottled and sold water from the springs as a treatment for a variety of ailments.
Men working with the depression-era Work Projects Administration (WPA) built the stone landing and steps in the 1930s. The steps lead to where White Sulphur Springs trickles out of the travertine and into the Bighorn River.
The postcard (inset, circa 1900) shows White Sulphur Spring flowing at a significantly greater volume than is seen today.
Erected by Wyoming State Parks and Cultural Resources.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Works Progress Administration (WPA) projects marker series.
Location. 43° 39.672′ N, 108° 11.736′ W. Marker is in Thermopolis, Wyoming, in Hot Springs County. Marker is on White Sulphur Road near Big Springs Drive, in the median. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Thermopolis WY 82443, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance Hot Springs State Park (approx. 0.4 miles away); Washakie's Bath House (approx. 0.4 miles away); Ancient Red Rocks (approx. 0.4 miles away); "The Hot Springs" (approx. 0.4 miles away); Healing Waters (approx. 0.4 miles away); 1916 Swinging Bridge (approx. half a mile away); Geology of Hot Springs (approx. half a mile away); Some Like It Hot! (approx. half a mile away). Click for a list of all markers in Thermopolis.
More about this marker. This marker is located in Hot Springs State Park near Thermopiles, Wyoming.
Categories. • Natural Features •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 67 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page was last revised on September 12, 2016.