HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
            “Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
  Home  — My Markers  — Add A Marker  — Marker Series  — Links & Books  — Forum  — About Us
College Park in Prince George's County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Architectural History of the Maryland Agricultural College
 
Architectural History of the Maryland Agricultural College Marker Photo, Click for full size
By Richard E. Miller, July 29, 2008
1. Architectural History of the Maryland Agricultural College Marker
 
Inscription. The College Park Campus began on this hilltop. In 1856, Charles Benedict Calvert of Riversdale gave 420 acres for the founding of Maryland Agricultural College. The original College building was the Barracks, a beautiful six-story gothic structure completed in 1859 and located very near this site. Over the next fifty years it served as classroom and residence hall for the approximately 100 student military cadets. The cadets relaxed in what they called the Grove - these woods which fronted the Barracks - and planted experimental crops and practiced military maneuvers in the meadow which rolled down to the Rossborough on Route One. By 1909, the Barracks had been joined in a rectangular cluster by seven other buildings and a large water tower. Among them, in 1898, was a new science edifice, later called Morrill Hall, noted when it was built for the view available from the cupola to the Washington Monument. Eleven years later the main section of what is now Taliaferro Hall was completed for use in the study of engineering.

However, many of the Grove’s buildings burned in 1912, including the Barracks. All the dormitory rooms, half of the classrooms and offices, and most of the College records were incinerated. Ironically, the great fire of 1912 sparked the creation of a quite different institution. With wide public support, the
 
Maryland Agricultural College Photo, Click for full size
By Richard E. Miller, July 24, 2008
2. Maryland Agricultural College
Lay out map showing the College's 19th Century buildings in the "Grove."
 
campus was rebuilt. The military atmosphere gave way to a spirit of academic freedom, coeducation, extracurricular activity, athletics and fraternities. The “Aggies” had become the Maryland State College by 1916 and, after combining with schools in Baltimore, became the University of Maryland in 1920. Academic standards and enrollment rose sharply. By 1930, when Shoemaker Hall was completed for initial use as a library and for campus administration, the institution began to venture beyond the Grove. Skinner Hall had emerged in 1918 as the main engineering building and in 1928 the University completed a separate dining hall, later expanded into the present LaFrak Hall. Finally, in 1962, the University razed the wooden shed originally built in 1893 as a gym and replaced it with the present Millard E. Tydings Hall.

The oldest trees were seedlings here about the time this institution was founded. Listen in the shade for the student voices of more than a century ago.
 
Erected by University of Maryland.
 
Location. 38° 59.037′ N, 76° 56.59′ W. Marker is in College Park, Maryland, in Prince George's County. Click for map. Marker is on the brick retaining wall at the southeast edge of the "Grove," lying between Preinkert and Chapel Drives on the campus of the University of Maryland. Marker is in this post office area: College Park MD 20742, United States of America.
 
Architectural History of the Maryland Agricultural College Marker Photo, Click for full size
By Richard E. Miller, July 24, 2008
3. Architectural History of the Maryland Agricultural College Marker
view across the "Grove" toward Morrill Hall and Taliaferro Hall.
 

 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Morrill Hall (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Millard E. Tydings (about 400 feet away); Calvert Hall (about 400 feet away); University of Maryland Memorial Chapel (about 800 feet away); The Terrapin Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away); Juan Ramón Jiménez (approx. 0.2 miles away); "May Peace Prevail on Earth" (approx. 0.2 miles away); Blair Lee III (approx. 0.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in College Park.
 
Also see . . .
1. Justin Smith Morrill, 1810-1898. Author of the Morrill Land-Grant College Act of 1862, U.S. Congressman and Senator from Vermont for whom Morrill Hall is named. (Submitted on August 1, 2008, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland.) 

2. Charles Benedict Calvert. (Submitted on August 1, 2008, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland.)
 
Morrill Hall Photo, Click for full size
By Richard E. Miller, July 29, 2008
4. Morrill Hall
Last of the 19th century academic buildings on the College Park campus.
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on August 1, 2008, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,051 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on August 1, 2008, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.
 
Recommend or Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr


•••
More Search Options
 
Markers
Near You

 
Categories

 
States & Provinces

 
Counties
Click to List


 
Countries

Page composed
in 234 ms.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
To search within this page, hold down the Ctrl key and press F.
On an Apple computer,
hold down the Apple key and press F.