Blairstown in Warren County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
The Rainbow Confectionery
This building was first known as the Bunnell building, built in the early-to-mid 1870s serving as a confectionery, ice cream and variety shop during most of its years. By 1877, Leslie Bunnell sold his business of dispensing fine French chocolates, nuts, tobacco and cigars to Franklin P. Bunnell. Within the next few years, F.P. Bunnell added variety merchandise to his assortment and called his store F P. Bunnell's Variety Store. Originally the building had been one storefront, but by the 1890s the building s divided into two storefronts. The left half catering to confections and ice cream, the right half focusing on the variety business.
Confectionery and Ice Cream Shop
Clark Jones took over the left storefront from F.P. Bunnell in 1904 and managed the ice cream business. As with Mr. Bunnell, the ice cream was made on site by Mr. Jones, and during the winter months soups were sold instead of ice cream. About 1918, Robert and George "Sparky" Mitchell took over the confection business and continued until a fire destroyed part of the building in February 1928. The shop was repaired and in June 1928, Fred and Ethel Buehler opened The Rainbow Confectionery. Mr. Buehler specialized in making horehound cough drops and supplied them locally to Branigan's Pharmacy as a medicinal product. His handmade candies are the items
After the building was divided in the late 1800s, F.P. Bunnell continued to run his variety store in the right storefront. Later, his son George became a partner with him and the business was called F.P. Bunnell and Son. They sold a wide variety of merchandise including men's furnishings, ladies' accessories and grocery items. In 1927, George Bunnell became partners with Andrew Brugler and the shop was named Bunnell and Brugler. They expanded their selection to include the sale and repair of appliances. After over sixty-five years of having the Bunnell family name associated with a variety store on Main Street, the business was sold to J.D. and Mabel Jacobus in 1945 and renamed the Jacobus Variety Store. In 1960 the shop was sold to Milton and Gertrude "Trudy" Readett, and they continued to supply the townspeople with variety merchandise. The closing of their shop in 1970 marked the end of a variety business which had continued for over ninety years on Main Street.
Location. 40° 58.983′ N, 74° 57.63′ W. Marker is in Blairstown, New Jersey, in Warren County. Marker is on Main Street near Blair Place, on the left when traveling west. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 17 Main Street, Blairstown NJ 07825, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Water Works (a few steps from this marker); The Mill (within shouting distance of this marker); Branigan’s Pharmacy (within shouting distance of this marker); Roy’s Hall (within shouting distance of this marker); Flatiron Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Dr. John C. Johnson Residence (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Simeon Cook Residence (about 500 feet away); First Presbyterian Church of Blairstown (about 500 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Blairstown.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. This page has been viewed 124 times since then and 9 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. This page was last revised on September 12, 2016.