“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Ranger in Eastland County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)

Merriman Baptist Church

Merriman Baptist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, September 8, 2016
1. Merriman Baptist Church Marker
Inscription. Local Baptists met in private homes for many years between the nomination of Merriman as the county seat in 1874 and the organization of the Merriman Baptist Church in 1892. The charter members were Edmond Duncan, Fannie Duncan, Josie Duncan, Ozella Duncan, T.W. Duncan, Cles Hollaway, H.A. Inman, George Moss, C.J. Pugh, B.R. Williams, I.B. Williams, Virginia Williams and S. Williams. They called J.L. Mays as the first pastor. The congregation erected a small church house in 1893 and a wood frame meeting house in 1903.
†††††An oil boom hit the area in 1917. Trustees of the 29-member Merriman Baptist Church leased drilling rights on the property. When the Derrick struck oil, the well began to earn $300 to $400 per day. The congregation kept a small amount for operating expenses and gave the rest to various Baptist organizations and charities. For some time, the church was able to give about $100,000 a year to domestic and foreign missions, the Buckner Orphans Home, Dallas and Houston sanitariums, Simmons College, Old Ministers Relief, Baptist Standard Publishing Company, Southwest Baptist Theological Seminary, Christian education and other causes.
†††††The noise of oil drilling operations in the area became disruptive to church services in 1918. The congregation built a tabernacle in the area in which services were held until
Merriman Baptist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, September 8, 2016
2. Merriman Baptist Church Marker
1922, when they erected a new brick edifice.
†††††The Merriman Baptist Church boasted two hundred and twenty-five members in 1999, seven of whom were descended from the 1918 membership, and continued to meet in the structure erected 75 years before. The church continues to serve the area.
Erected 1999 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 11853.)
Location. 32° 25.398′ N, 98° 41.918′ W. Marker is near Ranger, Texas, in Eastland County. Marker can be reached from Farm to Market Road 2461 one mile south of Interstate 20, on the left when traveling south. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Ranger TX 76470, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Merriman Cemetery (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Ranger Municipal Airport (approx. 2.5 miles away); The Bankhead Highway (approx. 3.4 miles away); Well Number 19 (approx. 3.4 miles away); Site of First Oil Well Drilled in Eastland County (approx. 3.4 miles away); Roaring Ranger (approx. 3.4 miles away); Ranger Vietnam Veterans Memorial (approx. 3.7 miles away); Hargus Farm (approx. 5.7 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Ranger.
Also see . . .  Merriman, TX
Merriman Baptist Church image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, September 8, 2016
3. Merriman Baptist Church
. From the Texas State Historical Associationís “Handbook of Texas Online”. (Submitted on September 13, 2016.) 
Categories. Charity & Public WorkChurches, Etc.
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page has been viewed 120 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page was last revised on September 13, 2016.
Paid Advertisement