“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Blairstown in Warren County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)

Braniganís Pharmacy

Braniganís Pharmacy Marker image. Click for full size.
By Michael Herrick, September 10, 2016
1. Braniganís Pharmacy Marker
Blairstown had a doctor but no place in town to purchase prescriptions on a regular basis. In 1872, Daniel Shoemaker, a druggist from Belvidere, started supplying the needs of the people for medical supplies on an irregular basis and in 1876 moved his entire stock and goodwill into a small store situated at 23 Main Street. His store was greatly admired not only for its content, but for its blue doors. It seems blue doors were quite the rage back then. The reasoning for this rage is lost in the fog of antiquity.

When Shoemaker died in 1883, the business was sold to George Branigan, who was not content to just dispense drugs and medical supplies to people and farm animals, but stocked his store with paints, wall paper, wines and liquors, for medicinal purposes only (called bitters back then) fancy articles, cameras, and the first 5 & 10-cent counter in the area. In 1888, he introduced another latest rage or craze, the milk shake. In 1899, he continued to not only be up to date but set an example as to what a first class pharmacy should be. He installed a winter fountain that dispensed hot clam broth, hot chocolate, tea and coffee. Branigan's sodas made with real cream were famous and people on their way to visit the Poconos made it a habit to stop in Blairstown to enjoy them. Then came the Branigan hot fudge sundaes made with
Braniganís Pharmacy image. Click for full size.
By Michael Herrick, September 10, 2016
2. Braniganís Pharmacy
their own fudge. People's mouths would water just recalling the memory of them.

The Branigans were a remarkable family. In 1921, they constructed a new store across the street, 28 Main, and a house on the hill next to Roy's Hall. After the death of George, his three daughters, Linna, May, and Marie continued the business for a long period of time. Linna was one of the first registered women pharmacists in the state.

The Branigans are gone and so is their business, Blairstown Pharmacy. The building has changed owners and names, but the success that they brought there continues to this day.
Location. 40° 58.985′ N, 74° 57.664′ W. Marker is in Blairstown, New Jersey, in Warren County. Marker is on Main Street near Blair Place, on the right when traveling west. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 28 Main Street, Blairstown NJ 07825, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Royís Hall (a few steps from this marker); The Rainbow Confectionery (within shouting distance of this marker); The Water Works (within shouting distance of this marker); The Mill (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Flatiron Building (about 400 feet away); Dr. John C. Johnson Residence (about 600 feet away); Simeon Cook Residence (about 600 feet away); First Presbyterian Church of Blairstown (about 700 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Blairstown.
Categories. Industry & CommerceSettlements & Settlers
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. This page has been viewed 188 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. This page was last revised on September 13, 2016.
Paid Advertisement