Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Newark in New Castle County, Delaware — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

St. John the Baptist Church

 
 
St. John the Baptist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Pfingsten, July 29, 2008
1. St. John the Baptist Church Marker
Inscription. In 1868, the original Old Village Presbyterian Church, which stood on this location, was purchased by Charles A. Murphey. The property was donated to the Catholic Diocese of Wilmington, and the church was named St. Patrick's. It became a mission of Church of Immaculate Conception in Elkton, Md. On the morning of December 25, 1880, the Floor collapsed, and a decision was made to raze the church. While a new church was being built, Sunday Mass was held in the Newark Grange Hall. Because of the monies contributed by Father John A. Lyons and his family, the church was renamed in honor of his patron, St. John the Baptist. The cornerstone of the present building was laid on June 24, 1883, and construction was completed in December. In 1946 a major interior renovation was executed by the Philadelphia architects, Gleeson and Mulrooney. Building modifications included the installation of twelve memorial stained glass windows and a rose window at the south front facade. The belfry was altered after being struck by lightning in 1953. In July of 1991, a fire caused extensive damage to the front of the sanctuary. Due to the quick response of the Aetna Hose Hook and Ladder Company, the structure was saved. The building is an excellent example of Romanesque Revival ecclesiastical architecture as interpreted by Newark builders.
 
Erected
St. John the Baptist Church image. Click for full size.
By William Pfingsten, July 29, 2008
2. St. John the Baptist Church
2002 by Delaware Public Archives. (Marker Number NC-122.)
 
Location. 39° 41.027′ N, 75° 44.731′ W. Marker is in Newark, Delaware, in New Castle County. Marker is on Chapel Street near E. Main Street, on the right. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Newark DE 19711, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Hiram Lodge No. 25 (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); New Century Club (about 700 feet away); Veterans Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away); Newark Academy (approx. 0.2 miles away); Newark United Methodist Church (approx. 0.3 miles away); Oriental Lodge #12, I.O.O.F. (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Diamonds Walkway (approx. 0.4 miles away); Old College (approx. 0.4 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Newark.
 
Categories. 20th CenturyChurches, Etc.Notable BuildingsNotable Persons
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,824 times since then and 17 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement