Middle Village in Emmet County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Built in 1889...
The church below is the third to stand in the vicinity of the first Jesuit mission in 1741. It was rebuilt by the Indians in 1825
For many years this sign stood on the edge of the bluff on M-119 above St. Ignatius on property owned by the John Hannah family but graciously shared with the public as a scenic overlook. It was one of several originally done by the Harbor Springs Chamber of Commerce to mark points of interest including Devils Elbow, Horseshoe Bend, the Old Council Tree and Larbor Croche
Location. 45° 33.111′ N, 85° 6.931′ W. Marker is in Middle Village, Michigan, in Emmet County. Marker is on Lamkin Road 1.2 miles south of Michigan Route 119, on the right when traveling south. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 101 North Lamkin Road, Harbor Springs MI 49740, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. St. Ignatius Mission (a few steps from this marker); St. Ignatius of Loyola Church and Cemetery (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Middle Village Area Of The Old Council Tree (approx. 5.1 miles away); L'Arbre Croche (approx. 5.6 miles away); The Legs Inn (approx. 7.3 miles away); Light Houses of Grays Reef Passage (approx. 7.3 miles away); The History of Redpath Memorial Presbyterian Church (approx. 7.4 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Middle Village.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker.
Also see . . . St. Ignatius Church in Middle Village MI. (Submitted on September 14, 2016, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Churches, Etc. • Native Americans •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 211 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page was last revised on September 14, 2016.