The Village of Tadmor / The National Road
The Village of Tadmor
The Village of Tadmor is significant as being the location of one of the most important centers of transportation in early Ohio history. As early as 1809, keelboats were poled up river from Dayton to load and unload freight in the village. By 1837, the Miami and Erie Canal had reached Tadmor, connecting it to the Ohio River in the south and Lake Erie in the north. In the 1830s, the National Road was constructed through Tadmor, connecting it to points east and west. In 1851, the Dayton & Michigan Railroad established freight and passenger service to the growing town. Residents hoped that Tadmor's strategic location would help it prosper, however, successive flooding on the Great Miami River stifled growth. Tadmor was finally abandoned when a dam constructed by the Miami Conservancy District in 1922 to retain water during flooding made the site uninhabitable.
The National Road
Authorized by Congress in 1806, the National Road was the nation's first federally funded interstate highway. National leaders desired an all-weather road across the Allegheny Mountains in order to develop closer political and economic ties between the east and west. Considered to be a significant engineering feat, the road opened Ohio and much of the Old Northwest Territory to settlement, provided access for Ohio
Erected 2006 by Five Rivers Metroparks Ohio National Road Association The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 10- 57.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the The Historic National Road, and the The Miami & Erie Canal marker series.
Location. 39° 53.823′ N, 84° 9.913′ W. Marker is near Vandalia, Ohio, in Montgomery County. Marker can be reached from E National Rd (U.S. 40). Click for map. Marker is on the Great Miami River Recreational Trail, Taylorsville Metro Park, about 1 1/3 miles north of the parking lot at the dam, it is NOT accessible by motor vehicle. Marker is at or near this postal address: 4697 E National Rd, Vandalia OH 45377, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow Tadmor - Taylorsville (approx. 1.4 miles away); Taylorsville (approx. 1.6 miles away); Phoneton (approx. 1.6 miles away); a different marker also named Phoneton (approx. 1.8 miles away); The Crossroads of America (approx. 1.9 miles away); Joseph Calvin Paul Memorial Boulevard (approx. 3.8 miles away); The Old National Road (approx. 4.2 miles away); Miami and Erie Canal Lock 15 (approx. 4.5 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Vandalia.
Additional keywords. Old National Road Miami- Erie Canal
Categories. • Railroads & Streetcars • Roads & Vehicles • Settlements & Settlers • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. This page has been viewed 83 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on , by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on September 16, 2016.