Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Worland in Washakie County, Wyoming — The American West (Mountains)
 

Worland: Original Town Site

 
 
Worland: Original Town Site Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, June 4, 2016
1. Worland: Original Town Site Marker
Inscription. The frontier settlement of Worland was originally located near the mouth of Fifteen Mile Creek on the west bank of the Big Horn River. It grew around a stage coach station established in 1900 by Charles H. “Dad” Worland on the old Bridger Trail, an 1864 wagon road connecting the Oregon Trail with new gold fields in southwestern Montana.
By the time “Dad” Worland opened his station, the Bridger Trail had evolved into a dusty county road serving the newly established farming and ranching community in the Big Horn Basin. In 1903, survey work began on major irrigation projects in the region. Ditches were dug and Big Horn River water was diverted to irrigate the dry desert landscape. Sugar beets were the crop of choice. Much of this activity centered from Worland’s sister community of Hanover on the east bank of the river.
With the construction of these irrigation projects, Worland quickly grew into a small town with a bright agricultural future. In 1905 regional promoters convinced the Burlington Railroad and Lincoln Land Company to build south into the Big Horn Basin from Montana. Construction began early fall with tracks being laid on the east bank of the Big Horn River. To accommodate the location of the incoming railroad, Worland citizens hoisted their homes, offices, business buildings, and school
Worland: Original Town Site Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, June 4, 2016
2. Worland: Original Town Site Marker
onto log skids and “slid” them across the frozen river during the winter of 1905-1906. These buildings were then placed along the newly surveyed, named and numbered streets.
 
Erected by Wyoming State Historic Preservation Office.
 
Location. 44° 0.78′ N, 107° 58.74′ W. Marker is in Worland, Wyoming, in Washakie County. Marker is on West Big Horn Avenue (U.S. 20) near Shiloh Road, on the left when traveling north. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1241 West Big Horn Avenue, Worland WY 82401, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 7 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. C.H. "Dad" Worland (a few steps from this marker); Worland Sugar Factory (a few steps from this marker); Pioneer Square (approx. 1.1 miles away); Trail of the Whispering Giants (approx. 1.2 miles away); Welcome to Worland, Wyoming (approx. 1.2 miles away); Jim Bridger Historic Trail (approx. 2.5 miles away); Colby Mammoth Kill Site (approx. 5.6 miles away).
 
Also see . . .  World - Wyoming Tales and Trails. In 1903, C. F. Robertson began the construction of an irrigation canal, the Hanover Canal, named after Hanover, Indiana, the hometown of the county prosecuting attorney,
Main Street, Worland, Wyo image. Click for full size.
By Contemporary postcard, circa 1911
3. Main Street, Worland, Wyo
John Pollock Arnott. The Lower Hanover Canal was completed in 1906, the Bighorn Canal in 1907, and the Upper Hanover Canal in 1910. The effect of irrigation is indicated in that in 1900 less than 1,000 acres was under irrigation and this soon grew to over 40,000 acres.
(Submitted on September 15, 2016, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California.) 
 
Categories. Settlements & Settlers
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 146 times since then and 22 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page was last revised on September 15, 2016.
Paid Advertisement