“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
New London in Waupaca County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)

New London Fairground

New London Fairground Marker image. Click for full size.
By Paul Fehrenbach, September 15, 2016
1. New London Fairground Marker
Inscription. This farmland was the site of the New London Fairground from 1891-1912. Today’s farmhouse was built to be the dining hall for fairgoers. The 1905 view of the fairgrounds shown here depicts the grandstand, horse barn, racetrack, and judges’ stand. None of these buildings exist today. During the 22 years the fairs were held, the grounds were privately owned by James Henry Cannon, the leading organizer and a zealous promoter of the fair.

Thousands of people attended the fairs annually. They compared exhibits of livestock, vegetables, flowers, and needlework. Local merchants showcased their wares in a variety of displays. Trained dogs and goats performed stunts, while grafters hoodwinked people with games and ruses. Children of all ages were entertained by a steam–powered “whirly-go-round.” An annual feature of the New London Fair was the harness races. Horses came from throughout the Midwest to compete for cash prizes ranging from $75 to $450. The track record was set in 1899 by Maurine, a horse owned by Cannon. The time was 2:17.

Special attractions highlighted some fairs. In 1897, 3,000 fairgoers stood in the rain to hear Wisconsin politician Robert “Fighting Bob” La Follette espouse the direct primary. In 1910, fairgoers witnessed two parachutists jump from a hot air balloon, and in 1912,
New London Fairground Marker image. Click for full size.
By Paul Fehrenbach, September 15, 2016
2. New London Fairground Marker
A harness race at the New London Fair is captured in this photograph entitled “The Home Stretch” by Ed Mouto. Courtesy of the New London Public Museum.
an astonished crowd saw a pilot circle above the fairgrounds in a biplane. James Cannon died in 1912, and the last fair was held that year. In 1914, the property was purchased by George Thern, and in 2014, Thern descendants received the Century Farm Award for 100 years of family ownership of the land.
Erected 2015 by Wisconsin historical Society in Memory of Sandra Fuller. (Marker Number 559.)
Location. 44° 24.202′ N, 88° 43.916′ W. Marker is in New London, Wisconsin, in Waupaca County. Marker is at the intersection of Fairview Drive (Wisconsin Route 54) and U.S. 45, on the right when traveling west on Fairview Drive. Click for map. Marker is just west of the off ramp from northbound U.S. 45. Marker is at or near this postal address: 331 West Fairview Drive, New London WI 54961, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 15 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Birthplace of the American Water Spaniel (approx. 1.1 miles away); Alonzo E. Horton (approx. 6.7 miles away); Shiocton Area Veterans Memorial (approx. 7.4 miles away); Veterans Memorial (approx. 10 miles away); Melvin O. Handrich
New London Fairground Marker image. Click for full size.
By Paul Fehrenbach, September 15, 2016
3. New London Fairground Marker
barn on the farm property
(approx. 10.2 miles away); a different marker also named Veterans Memorial (approx. 11.4 miles away); Old Wolf River Crossing (approx. 11.9 miles away); South Greenville Grange No. 225 (approx. 14.6 miles away).
Regarding New London Fairground. Wisconsin Historical Society Marker Series
Categories. AgricultureAnimalsEntertainment
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 44 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on September 19, 2016.
Paid Advertisement