Greenwood in Clark County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Erected 1968 by the Clark County Historical Society. (Marker Number 23.)
Location. 44° 46.024′ N, 90° 35.883′ W. Marker is in Greenwood, Wisconsin, in Clark County. Marker is at the intersection of North Main Street (State Highway 73) and East Division Street, on the right when traveling north on North Main Street. Click for map. Marker is in Greenwood Park. Marker is at or near this postal address: 102 North Main Street, Greenwood WI 54437, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 15 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Loyal Veterans Memorial (approx. 5 miles away); Samuel Hartford (approx. 6.1 miles away); Castner–Mack Cemetery (approx. 6.4 miles away); Neillsville Civil War Memorial National Native American Vietnam Veterans Memorial (approx. 14.3 miles away); The Korean War Tribute (approx. 14.3 miles away); Kilroy Was Here (approx. 14.4 miles away); Women Airforce Service Pilots Monument (approx. 14.4 miles away).
More about this marker. The Mormon Settlements Marker is a Wisconsin Registered Landmark – Number 23.
Greenwood Mayor John Snedic displays a marker erected last week in the Greenwood City Park by the Clark County Historical Society. The marker honors the Mormons, first white settlers to visit Clark County in 1844. They had four campsites on the Black River between Wedges Creek and Greenwood. Cunningham Creek, two miles south of Neillsville, is named after Jonathan Cunningham, a Mormon who drowned in the stream in 1844. The Mormons left Clark County in mid-1844. The marker in Greenwood will be officially dedicated December 7 during a historical society meeting in the high school.
Excerpt from The Eau Claire Leader October 8, 1968
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker. To better understand the relationship, study each marker in the order shown.
Also see . . .
1. Lumbering and Farming. (Submitted on August 26, 2009.)
2. History of the Greenwood Peace Memorial. "The magnificent fifteen foot high monument to peace predominates the village park in Greenwood, Wisconsin. It stands before a wall of time worn fieldstones which were gathered from the life sustaining Black River by the sturdy pioneers who fashioned them into a fine municipal center. It was erected during the "Great Depression" and generously given to the struggling farm community by a sculptor who did not become famous until he died as a pauper in 1962." (Submitted on August 27, 2009.)
Additional keywords. Ernest Durig; Peace Monument
Categories. • Churches, Etc. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 1,478 times since then and 27 times this year. Last updated on , by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on , by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. 6. submitted on , by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on September 19, 2016.