During the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries, city-dwellers from the Midwest escaped hot summers in the fresh air of northern Michigan. Constructed in 1899 for Norman J. Perry, the Hotel Perry catered to these vacationers with its location near Little Traverse Bay and the Grand Rapids and Indiana Railroad Depot. At the Perry, a Petoskey social hub, guests and local citizens attended "hops" and enjoyed the hotel orchestra. One of the city's earliest brick buildings, the hotel was advertised as "fire proof" and boasted steam heat, electric service, a barber shop, a buffet restaurant, and a newsstand. The Hotel Perry is included in the Petoskey Downtown National Register Historic District.
Erected 1999 by Michigan Historical Center, Michigan Department of State. (Marker Number L2067.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Michigan Historical Commission marker series.
Location. 45° 22.606′ N, 84° 57.236′ W. Marker is in Petoskey, Michigan, in Emmet County. Marker is at the intersection of Lewis Street and Rose Street, on the right when traveling south on Lewis Street. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 100 Lewis Street, Petoskey MI 49770, United States of America.
Other nearby markers.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker.
Also see . . . Stafford's Perry Hotel: A Pioneer in Elegant Lodging. (Submitted on September 16, 2016, by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas.)
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas. This page has been viewed 228 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas. This page was last revised on September 17, 2016.