Site of the 1899 Department of Michigan G.A.R. Encampment
This rare Confederate cannon marks the site of the 1889 Grand Army of the Republic Encampment
This cast iron Napoleon howitzer was manufactured at the Augusta, Georgia (CSA) Arsenal during the Civil War. Until its discovery, only the Tredegar foundry in Richmond, Virginia was known to have made iron Napoleon cannons. How or when the Augusta Arsenal cannon came to Petoskey remains a mystery.
From June 28 to July 5, 1899, three thousand former Union veterans and their families arrived in Petoskey to attend the 21st Department of Michigan Grand Army of the Republic Encampment in this park. The keynote speaker was Maj. Gen. Joseph Wheeler, late commander of the victorious US forces in Cuba. Gen. Wheeler had been a famous Confederate cavalry commander during the Civil War. Also in attendance was the U.S. Secretary of War Russell Alger who had also served as a Michigan Senator and Governor of Michigan as well as the first presiding Commander of the Michigan Department of the SUVCW. During the festivities a cannon fired salutes over Little Traverse Bay; it is possible that this was the cannon.
In 1996 Department of Public Works employees installing a new sewer line on Rose Street near Stafford's Perry Hotel uncovered what they initially believed was one of the original sewer pipes. After they washed away the mud, they
The restoration was made possible by the following contributors:
• The Les and Anne Biederman Foundation, Inc.
• Petoskey-Harbor Springs Area Community Foundation
• The City of Petoskey
• Wal-Mart Foundation-Petoskey Store
• Charles Heffner [sic Heffer], Camp 14 & WW II Veteran
• National Sons of Union Veterans of the Civil War
• Robert Finch Camp No. 14, SUVCW
June 21, 2008 the Augusta Arsenal-Petoskey cannon was dedicated in Arlington park in a public ceremony.
Little Traverse Region
Union veterans of the Civil War 1861-1865
Erected 2008 by Robert Finch Camp No. 14 SUVCW and Concerned Citizens and Organizations.
Location. 45° 22.634′ N, 84° 57.202′ W. Marker is in Petoskey, Michigan, in Emmet County. Marker is on Lewis Street south of Bay View Road (U.S. 31), on the left when traveling south. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: Arlington Park, Petoskey MI 49770, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance Old Indian Trail (a few steps from this marker); Lombard Post No. 170 G.A.R. Memorial (a few steps from this marker); Hotel Perry (within shouting distance of this marker); Perry Hotel (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); a different marker also named The Perry Hotel (about 500 feet away); Grand Rapids and Indiana Railroad Station (about 500 feet away); Elk's Club (about 500 feet away); Park Garden Cafe (approx. 0.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Petoskey.
Categories. • Man-Made Features • Patriots & Patriotism • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 125 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page was last revised on September 16, 2016.