—311 East Lake Street —
The Montgomery Sisters occupied this tin-fronted building after they moved here in 1919 from their Petoskey Midway location. Gertrude and Mae Montgomery were widely known for their eclectic merchandise. They sold fancy goods and art pieces in this location for over forty years. In 1998 William and Marietta Shorter restored the building to its original character. J.W. Shorter and Son Mercantile opened as a specialty shop here in 1998.
National Register of Historic Places
Erected by Little Traverse Historical Society.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Michigan, Little Traverse Historical Society marker series.
Location. 45° 22.504′ N, 84° 57.403′ W. Marker is in Petoskey, Michigan, in Emmet County. Marker is on Lake Street east of Petoskey Street, on the left when traveling east. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 311 East Lake Street, Petoskey MI 49770, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. G & A Building (a few steps from this marker); J. Schapler Saloon (a few steps from this marker); National Hotel (within shouting distance of this marker); Brazile Petoskey Dry Goods and Groceries
Also see . . .
1. Little Traverse Historical Society. (Submitted on September 18, 2016, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. J.W. Shorter & Son Mercantile. (Submitted on September 18, 2016, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 143 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page was last revised on September 18, 2016.