“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Parker in Douglas County, Colorado — The American Mountains (Southwest)

Ave Maria Chapel

at Matthew's Episcopal Church


19580 E. Pilgrim Place

Ave Maria Chapel Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, July 26, 2016
1. Ave Maria Chapel Marker
Inscription. Responding to the growing religious needs of the community, G. W. Parker sold a piece of land on the north side of today's Mainstreet to build a chapel. Ten months later the foundation was laid for the Ave Maria Catholic Church. The first Mass was celebrated by the founder of the Ave Maria Catholic Mission, Rt. Rev. Msgr. John Judnic on January 12, 1916. In 1955, Catholic Church activities were moved to Castle Rock, and the old church was vacated and boarded up. St. Matthew's Episcopal Church and the Catholic Mission agreed on an offer to move the chapel from Mainstreet and construct a foundation for its new location. Finally in September 1982, St. Matthew's moved the building to its current location. On March 10, 1983, Archbishop James Casey officially renamed this Parker church "Ave Maria". The first Mass at the chapel's new location was celebrated at 11am on October 7, 1984. The chapel remained unfinished until 1985 when St. Matthew's finished the interior and dedicated it as their worship space.
Erected by Town of Parker.
Location. 39° 31.039′ N, 104° 45.756′ W. Marker is in Parker, Colorado, in Douglas County. Marker can be reached from East Pilgrim Place. Click for map. Chapel is located a few hundred
Ave Maria Chapel image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, July 26, 2016
2. Ave Maria Chapel
feet south of the St Matthew's Episcopal Church. Marker is at or near this postal address: 19580 East Pilgrim Place, Parker CO 80138, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 12 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Newcomb House (within shouting distance of this marker); Twenty Mile House (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Dedication to Parker's Most Significant Early Doctor (about 600 feet away); Hood House (approx. 3.4 miles away); Cherry Creek Camp (approx. 3.5 miles away); Russellville - History of Franktown / Franktown Country - Timber Industry (approx. 7.6 miles away); Franktown (approx. 8.9 miles away); Castle Rock (approx. 11.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Parker.
Also see . . .  Parker history about the Ave Maria Chapel. (Submitted on September 19, 2016, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
Categories. Churches, Etc.
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 142 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page was last revised on September 19, 2016.
Paid Advertisement