—316-318 East Mitchell —
The Coburn building, constructed in 1892, is home to both the 316 and 318 addresses. The 316 address was originally housed by hardware stores run by a variety of men who partnered with Sydney Bump. His partners were Henry Easton, John Walrond, and George Mcabe. By 1935 Cook Electric began its forty-three year occupation of this site. The famous Cook Electric sign painted on the side of the building served as a navigational device for visitors to Petoskey. The 318 location in the mid 1890's housed C.C. Hamill Grocery followed by Nathan Stone, undertaker, in 1919. Leismer's Ben Franklin, Northern Office Suppliers, The City News Stand, and Hilton's News Stand were all tenants during the years from 1936 through 1987. Beginning in 1988 a variety of real estate agents operated from this location. In 2008 the Grand Traverse Pie Company opened at the 316 location and started their business. Kosch Properties from Traverse City purchased the property and authentically restored the façade in 2003.
National Register of Historical Places
Erected by Little Traverse Historical Society.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Michigan, Little Traverse Historical Society marker series.
Location. 45° 22.431′
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Old Kent Bank of Petoskey (a few steps from this marker); Petoskey Post Office (within shouting distance of this marker); Giles Restaurant (within shouting distance of this marker); Petoskey Housefurnishing Co. / Reid Furniture (within shouting distance of this marker); The Pop Corn King (within shouting distance of this marker); Koulis Ice Cream (within shouting distance of this marker); Fallass Drug Store (within shouting distance of this marker); Jesperson's Restaurant (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line). Click for a list of all markers in Petoskey.
Also see . . . Little Traverse Historical Society. (Submitted on September 19, 2016, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 214 times since then and 32 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page was last revised on September 20, 2016.