Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Terrell in Kaufman County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Walter P. and Meck Allen House

 
 
Walter P. and Meck Allen House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Rheba Bybee, September 18, 2016
1. Walter P. and Meck Allen House Marker
Inscription. In 1893, Rusk County native Walter Payne Allen (1870-1943) wed America "Meck" Peyroux Cartwright (1874-1959), a native of San Augustine. A banker, Walter was an organizer and later president of American National Bank. He served as city alderman and commissioner, responsible for utility services, and was instrumental in the transition to a city commission form of government. Active in many local businesses, he also worked to get a Royal Air Force training center at Terrell during World War II. The Allens built this Tudor Revival house in 1928. Designed by the Dallas firm of Fooshee and Cheek, it features half-timbering, decorative masonry work and a jetty, and overhanging second floor supported by brackets.
 
Erected 2004 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 13855.)
 
Location. 32° 44.849′ N, 96° 17.173′ W. Marker is in Terrell, Texas, in Kaufman County. Marker is at the intersection of Griffith Avenue and 9th Street, on the left when traveling north on Griffith Avenue. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 611 Griffith Avenue, Terrell TX 75160, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The R. L. Warren House (within shouting distance of this marker); John H. Corley Home (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Victorian Residence, 1883 (approx. 0.2 miles away); Dr. L. E. Griffith Homeplace (approx. 0.4 miles away); First Presbyterian Church of Terrell (approx. half a mile away); Rockwall and Brin Church of Christ
Walter P. and Meck Allen House image. Click for full size.
By Rheba Bybee, September 18, 2016
2. Walter P. and Meck Allen House
(approx. 0.6 miles away); First United Methodist Church (approx. 0.6 miles away); St. John Catholic Church (approx. 0.6 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Terrell.
 
Categories. ArchitectureSettlements & Settlers
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Rheba Bybee of Seagoville, Texas. This page has been viewed 133 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Rheba Bybee of Seagoville, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on December 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement