Classic Site on the Banks of the Great Miami River
On this site Daniel Gebhart established a tavern in 1811. Taverns were where people gathered to eat, rest, and share news. During spring freshets, boatmen from the Great Miami River stayed at the tavern. Joining them were pioneers coming by the river and overland to settle at Hole's Station, now Miamisburg. The tavern closed in 1840, became a boarding house, and then sold to become a private residence in 1853. To commemorate the nation's Bicentennial in 1976, Miamisburg's bicentennial committee purchased the tavern and gave it to the city. It was restored and opened as a museum in 1982
Jacob Kercher, a founder of Miamisburg, came here in 1809 and built a house that same year. It is an example of a structure built with logs and covered with lap siding. The north side and interior show the log structure. On July 16, 2008, the house was moved here from its original location on Ferry Street. It was made structurally safe and is used for the Historical Society's educational programs. The smokehouse next to the pioneer home was discovered on Harold R. Gebhart's farm at the corner of routes 741 and 725 and moved here in 1980.
Erected 2012 by Miamisburg Historical Society The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 19- 57.)
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Woody's Market (approx. 3.8 miles away); Mad River Road / Road From Cunningham's to Mad River (approx. 4 miles away); Germantown Covered Bridge (approx. 4 miles away); The Wright Seaplane Base / Wright Model G "Aeroboat" (approx. 4.3 miles away); The Village of Germantown (approx. 4.4 miles away); Shuey Mill (approx. 4.4 miles away); Wright Seaplane Base (approx. 4.4 miles away but has been reported missing); Washington Presbyterian Church Cemetery (approx. 4.5 miles away but has been reported missing).
Additional keywords. Ohio Historical Society
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. This page has been viewed 86 times since then and 11 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on , by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on September 26, 2016.