Early Elk Rapids and the Elk River
In this photo you are standing on the other side of the Elk River and to the left side of the photograph. This picture of Elk Rapids is from the 1890s and the view is from the top of the Elk Rapids Iron Company's Furnace. What is left of this furnace's foundation can be seen at the "historical site" on Ames Street, near the Harbor Watch condominiums.
The logs rafted in the center of the river were gradually released through the railroad trestle as they were needed at the sawmill, located by the burner (black tower - right side of photo). The first sawmill and dam were built in 1856. The dam was raised and the mill rebuilt in 1861 and again in 1881. The flooding partially covered the stumps in front of you and buried the rapids, which were on the opposite side of the river from where you stand. The power dam on Dexter Street is located where the sawmill used to be.
The railroad swing bridge at the right side of the photo let passenger, freight and work boats through to the lower river. (The swing bridge was where the U.S. 31 bridge is today.) Passenger and freight would arrive and depart at the dock by the three white buildings in the background. The tallest building was the flour mill which closed in 1908. The other building is the Company Store which closed in 1902.
In the right and left foreground of this picture
©2005 Elk Rapids Rotary Club
Erected 2005 by Rotary Club of Elk Rapids.
Location. 44° 53.803′ N, 85° 24.56′ W. Marker is in Elk Rapids, Michigan, in Antrim County. Click for map. Marker is on the east side of the Rotary Park Pavilion, which is on the right while traveling north on U.S. 31. Marker is at or near this postal address: Rotary Park, 305 U.S. 31, Elk Rapids MI 49629, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Elk River, Entry to the Chain of Lakes of Antrim County (here, next to this marker); Elk Rapids (here, next to this marker); Land of Anishinabek (here, next to this marker); Why All of the Stumps? (here, next to this marker); Rotary Park "Centennial Project" (a few steps from this marker); Because of the Water... (a few steps from this marker); The Old Mission Church (approx. 5.7 miles away); A Light at Old Mission (approx. 7.4 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Elk Rapids.
Also see . . .
1. Henry H. Noble of the Dexter & Noble Company. (Submitted on September 25, 2016, by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas.)
2. Elk Rapids, Michigan, History. (Submitted on September 25, 2016, by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas.)
3. Elk Rapids Waterfront Cultural Landscape Report. (Submitted on September 25, 2016, by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas.)
4. Rotary Club of Elk Rapids, Michigan. (Submitted on September 25, 2016, by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas.)
Categories. • Horticulture & Forestry • Industry & Commerce • Man-Made Features • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas. This page has been viewed 73 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas. This page was last revised on September 25, 2016.