Hesler Log House
The Hesler house is a rare surviving log house dating from the early settlement of the Old Mission Peninsula. From 1854 to 1856, Joseph and Mary Hesler built the house of hand hewn pine and hemlock logs fourteen miles south of here on the eastern shore of the peninsula. Joseph and Mary, from Canada and Ireland respectively, were among a number of Irish, English, Canadian, and Scottish immigrants living in the southern part of the township in 1860.
Completed in 1856, the Hesler Log House typifies the first shelters built by early pioneeers. Faced with acres of forest, they cleared their land, built a house with the timber, and planted crops. The Heslers sold the house in 1866. During the next 125 years it served as a private residence, housing for migrant workers, a school, and quarters for a bull. When the house was threatend with demolition in 1992, citizens rallied. The building was moved to this site and restored.
Erected 2001 by Michigan Historical Commission, Michigan Historical Center. (Marker Number L2059.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Michigan Historical Commission marker series.
Location. 44° 59.464′ N, 85° 28.798′
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Hessler Log Home (a few steps from this marker); A Light at Old Mission (within shouting distance of this marker); Site of Lighthouse Privy (within shouting distance of this marker); Oil House (within shouting distance of this marker); The Old Mission Church (approx. 2.5 miles away); Because of the Water... (approx. 7.4 miles away); Elk Rapids (approx. 7.4 miles away); Land of Anishinabek (approx. 7.4 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Old Mission Point.
Also see . . .
1. The Hessler Log Cabin. (Submitted on September 25, 2016, by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas.)
2. The Hessler Log House. (Submitted on September 25, 2016, by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas.)
Categories. • Man-Made Features • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas. This page has been viewed 74 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas. This page was last revised on September 25, 2016.