Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Newcastle in Weston County, Wyoming — The American West (Mountains)
 

The Jenny Stockade

 
 
The Jenny Stockade Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, June 7, 2016
1. The Jenny Stockade Marker
below:
Jenny Stockade
National Register of Historic Places
Wyoming Place No. 28
Inscription. One-half mile east of this spot was a supply depot for army units convoying the Professor W.P. Jenny Party, which in 1875, surveyed mineral and other resources of the Black Hills for the United States. By 1876 it was a station of the Cheyenne-Deadwood stage line.
 
Erected 1940 by Historical Landmark Commission of Wyoming.
 
Location. 43° 48.96′ N, 104° 7.386′ W. Marker is near Newcastle, Wyoming, in Weston County. Marker is on U.S. 16 at milepost 254 near Beaver Creek Road, on the left when traveling west. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 5430 U.S. Highway 16, Newcastle WY 82701, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Camp Jenney (a few steps from this marker); Site of Field City (approx. mile away); Cheyenne – Deadwood Trail (approx. mile away); Accidental Oil Well (approx. one mile away); The Trains Power Newcastle (approx. 4.9 miles away); Cambria Powers the Trains (approx. 4.9 miles away); Hanging of Diamond L. Slim Clifton (approx. 4.9 miles away); Cambria (approx. 7.6 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Newcastle.
 
Also see . . .  Jenny Stockade Site - Wikipedia.
The Jenny Stockade Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, June 7, 2016
2. The Jenny Stockade Marker
The marker is located left of the Camp Jenny sign.
In 1875 the site was reoccupied by a party of 75 miners and geologist, accompanied by 432 soldiers, who built a log fort, named Camp Jenney after the chief geologist, Professor Walter P. Jenney. From June 1877 the site became a stop on the Cheyenne-Deadwood stage line, and was renamed the Jenney Stockade. (Submitted on September 26, 2016, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California.) 
 
Categories. ExplorationNatural Resources
 
Jenny Stockade Cabin - 1875 image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, June 7, 2016
3. Jenny Stockade Cabin - 1875
reLocated near the Anna Miller Museum on Delaware Avenue.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 108 times since then and 8 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page was last revised on October 3, 2016.
Paid Advertisement